CHEERS

"I heard from my roommate, Pim, that Pie wants to transfer rooms."

Kim lifted her head from the grass to look at Conan who's lying down beside her. "Really? How did Pim know that?"

It's only been a week since the class started, which means that Kim has been living with Pie for a week now. The things between them didn't turn out the way she's expecting it. The first and last time they talked was during the Freshmen Orientation when they introduced themselves. But since they came to their rooms, Pie had this invisible wall around her that says: "I don't want to make friends with you."

"Pim's also a nursing student like Pie. Maybe they're classmates or what," said Conan, turning sideways to look at Kim. "Admin didn't allow her though. Said that all rooms for Dorm A and B are already filled. Dorm C's already finished but they're planning to have it ready for occupancy by next semester. Did you annoy your roommate or something?"

Kim lay back and stared into the leaves overhead. "I don't know... We're not even talking. I couldn't start a conversation because she's treating me like I don't exist."

"Is she mean to you?"

"No. But I can tell that she feels awkward. Maybe she doesn't have plans of being good terms with me. Just plain platonic roommates."

"Why do you think so?"

Kim sighed, knowing what the reason is. "I think she feels awkward for being paired with someone like me -- a lesbian."

"Dude, I'm a lesbian too but my roommate's all fine with me," said Conan, sitting up. "Pim's already introduced me to her friends when they stayed there one time for a group assignment."

"That's nice of her," said Kim sadly. This is her first shot of trying to mingle with the world again. She's both scared and excited about it. However, that excitement has been blown away by this roommate of hers.

"Do you like her?" asked Conan.

"Huh?"

"You're roommate -- Pie. Do you like her?"

"Why'd you ask?"

"Because you're too affected right now. Look at you. You look like someone who's been dumped by her crush." Conan chuckled.

Kim tilted her head away from Conan to hide her blushing face. "It's... it's not like that..."

"I can introduce you to my roommate and her friends. They are really nice. Who knows, you might find yourself a girlfriend."

"No, thanks. I didn't come here to look for a girlfriend anyway. I came here for a cause: and that is to help the world eradicate Evens completely. I want to be like my dad who helped the entire world with his research," said Kim seriously. But the truth is she's disappointed with the turnout of events between her and Pie.

"Truly heroic, what your dad did, bud. And it's my honor to meet and be classmates with his daughter here in school," said Conan, smiling warmly. "So, you're planning to get into SAU, huh?"

"I hope I can. It was SAU who rescued me that time when my dad died. I felt safe when they came. It's like I can take on the world as long as I'm with them. I want to have that kind of effect on people."

"Me too. I admire them so much. My dad died after a massive attack in our village when I was a kid. Like you, I want to get rid of those monsters too."

"Do you think we'd be qualified to get into SAU? They are very picky, right?" asked Kim.

"They are because getting into SAU means commitment. And they only want people who are truly committed. And we're going down that path now. Training to be part of AEF is the first step towards becoming a SAU member."