Oh Please Be Quiet, Carmelita.

'If the Baudelaire fire never happened, what would happen if Violet attended Prufrock Prep?'

*Violet's POV*
"Hey, Vio," my friend Carmelita called as she saddled up next to me. I honestly didn't like her or how she treated the other students. She always implied she was so much richer than anyone else, choosing to call them Cakesniffers. I didn't like the insult, but I was far too introverted to really do anything about it. "Hello, Carm." I greeted crossly. She frowned at me as her stupid tap-shoes clicked their way through the stupid hall. I really didn't want to go to this school, but my parents insisted that I go and make some nice friends. I was pretty neutral when it came to popularity, but it was absolutely horrible who immediately becomes outcasted. Orphans were always the first on the chopping block and I was again far too introverted to speak up. "Violet, what's wrong?" She interrogated, "Did a cakesniffing orphan from the orphan's shack hit you with a better comeback?" I had never insulted any of the orphaned students, especially since there weren't any at the time, so it would be impossible for them to 'hit me with a better comeback'.

We made our way to the cafeteria in our own conversations with eachother. I talked about academics; She changed the subject to the two new cakesniffing orphan twins. I tried to guide the subject towards what was for lunch, and she replied that the orphan twins probably hoped it was cake for them to sniff. I asked about the weather, since I usually secretly brought a book outside every day and didn't want it to rain, and Carmelita began to tap dance and sing an irritating song:

"Please put on your snorkels and your swimming fins. Today there will be a flood of cakesniffing orphan twins! And my name is Carmelita!"

"That's not even clever," I muttered under my breath as she did a small tap dance routine I assumed she put together herself since it was so bad. I applauded begrudgingly because she would actually pinch anyone who didn't applaud her singing and dancing. I didn't want to get pinched... Carmelita always kept her nails quite long and sharp like claws and even the sight of them, covered in their usual sparkly pink polish, made my skin crawl. I once had her over to study for a test and Klaus commented that her nails reminded him of a character from a horror novel he once read. I laughed at this in private later...

As we rounded a corner, we immediately bumped into two people, sending all four of us to the ground. "Sorry about that," I apologized, squeezing my eyes tight as I rubbed my side that I landed on. "It's the two cakesniffing orphan twins! Violet, you don't need to apologize. They should!"

I opened my eyes slightly to see that the two we bumped into were nearly identical, their genders being the main differentiator. "We're sorry as well. And we're actually triplets." The boy commented. He was definitely cute. There was an intelligent gleam in his green eyes that matched his sister's eyes. There was a specific way about him that just screamed charming as all hell. I blushed as I noticed how handsome his hair looked in its neat style. I never really liked guys who left their hair messy and uncut; if they didn't care about their appearance, why should I? "I don't think I caught your names," I said in an attempt to make conversation with these two triplets. Carmelita scoffed from beside me, "Um... I think I can answer that. Cakesniffing Orphan 1 and Cakesniffing Orphan 2."

" Duncan and Isadora Quagmire, " the girl - Isadora - introduced her and her brother as if Carmelita had said nothing.
Duncan smiled warmly at me, making me hope to God that my face wasn't pure red from blushing as I introduced myself. "Ugh! Whatever..." Carmelita groaned, pulling me away from Duncan and Isadora by the forearm. I didn't appreciate the gesture and discretely waved goodbye to them. Isadora waved back excitedly as Duncan smiled that charming and warm smile at me, making my heart flutter for reasons I would never be able to explain in a way that made sense... I could tell I was probably the only one that showed them any kindness today.