Chapter Eight: The Mind Flayer

2884 words

"You're positive that was Dart?" Lucas asked as you all walked through the woods. "Yes. He has the same exact yellow pattern on his butt" Dustin answered. "He was tiny two days ago" Max said. "Well he's molted three times already" Dustin told her. "Malted?" Steve questioned. "Molted... You are lucky your pretty Steve" you failed to notice the way Steve's cheeks flushed a light pink at your words. Dustin noticed, and he only shook his head with an amused smile. "It means he sheds his skin to make room for growth, like hornworms" Dustin explained.

"When's he gonna molt again?" Max asked. "It's gotta be soon. When he does, he'll be fully grown, or close to it. And so will his friends" Dustin said. "Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats" Steve muttered.

"Wait, a cat?" Lucas yelled, putting his hand out to stop Dustin. "Dart are a cat?" Dustin shook his head furiously. "No, what? No" he answered quickly. "What are you talking about? He ate Mews" Steve said matter of factly. "Mews? Who's Mews?" Max asked. "It's Dustin and Y/N's cat"

"Steve!" Dustin yelled, wanting him to stop talking. "I knew it! You kept him!" Lucas said angrily, jabbing a finger in Dustin's chest. "No!" he lied. "No. No, I... No, I... He missed me. He wanted to come home" Dustin said sadly. "Bullshit!"

"I didn't know he was a Demogorgon, okay?" Dustin tried to defend himself. "Oh, so now you admit it!"

"Guys, who cares? We have to go" Max spoke up. "I care! You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!" Lucas yelled. "So did you!" Dustin yelled back. "What?" Lucas asked confused.

"You told a stranger the truth" Dustin pointed his flashlight in Max's face. "A stranger?" Max scoffed. "You wanted to tell her, too!"

"Yeah, but I didn't, Lucas, okay?" Steve looked to you for help, but you just shrugged. "When they get like this, I usually just let them work it out" you told him. Suddenly, you heard screeching in the distance. You turned to look at Steve with wide eyes. His look mirrored your own, and you knew he heard it too.

The boys kept arguing as you and Steve walked a few steps away, looking in the direction where the noise was coming from. "Hey guys?" Steve said, trying to get their attention. "Guys!" you and Steve yelled in unison, causing the kids to look at the two of you. They went silent before Dustin and Lucas followed you and Steve as you began to walk toward the noise. "No, no, no. Hey, guys, why are you headed toward the sound?" Max asked nervously, not following. No one answered her, so she finally ran to catch up with all of you.

You all walked through the trees and to a large clearing with a cliff, looking over more forest, and Hawkins Lab. "I don't see him" Dustin said. "It's the lab" Lucas said as he looked through his binoculars. "They were going back home"

The five of you headed down the mountain to the front of the lab. You finally made it through the trees and to the gate, when you saw Nancy and Jonathan coming out of the woods across the road.

"Steve?"

"Nancy?"

"Y/N?"

"Jonathan?"

You all spoke in unison as you walked toward each other. "What are you doing here?" Nancy asked as you met in the middle. "What are you doing here?" Steve echoed her. "We're looking for Mike and Will" Nancy answered. "They're not in there, are they?" you asked, pointing toward the lab. "We're not sure" Nancy said. You all turned as a loud screeching was heard. Everything went silent for a moment as you wait for another noise.

Nothing else was heard, so everyone started talking amongst each other, as Nancy walked through everyone. "The powers back" she said. Sure enough, the previously dark windows were now lit up. Everyone ran toward to box that had the button that opened the gate. Jonathan pressed it, but the gate didn't budge. "Let me try" Dustin said as he pushed his way into the booth. "Let me try Jonathan!" he said as he pushed Jonathan away, pressing the button a few times. You all watched and waited, but it didn't seem to work. "Son of a bitch!" Dustin kept pressing it, and after a few seconds, it finally began to open. "Hey! I got it!"