Chapter 18

Salaam 😢
I hope you enjoy this chapter 😭😭

************************************

It's just been two weeks since the incident. Naima couldn't forget it. They were back to California a few days later but she would never forget that day, when everything changed.

She had lost something that day. She almost died.....but that didn't matter because something much bigger was lost and she wouldn't be able to live if things didn't go well. She didn't even realize when tears fell down her face. Something she had been doing since that day. Like a daily routine.

"What are you thinking about?" Zain asked her when he got downstairs.

"Nothing." She lied.....again.

"It's alright. It's a thing of the past. You need to move on in life. At least for Karim." Zain encouraged her. He knew point blank how she felt.

"I need to see him again." Naima said out of the blue after a while.

"You are just going to cry more and be more miserable than you already are right now. " Zain noted.

"No. I promise I won't. I just need to see him. He's all alone in the hospital. I should be there with him." Naima pleaded with him.

"Dean's there with him. You know how he feels about you being there. You heard what he said." Zain explained the facts to her. Facts, she didn't want to hear about.

"I know what Dean said but I'm his wife. He is my husband. He can't just decide that I shouldn't see him." Naima protested angrily.

"Dean wasn't the one who said you couldn't see him. Tawfiq made him promise to keep you safe and sane no matter what. You seeing him in that state makes you go crazy all over again. Dean doesn't want to break his promises. " Zain held her shoulders to look into her eyes make her understand the situation here.

"I said I won't. I will be fine.....I'm going crazy not seeing him. " Naima cried out.

"Shhhhh.... You will wake Karim up. The little guy is not in the best place right now. He has nightmares normally and his dad just can't seem to get any better." Zain retorted.

"You should be with your son. That is what Tawfiq would have wanted. Not crying all day long." Zain told her plainly.

"You don't get it. I can't even look Karim in the eyes anymore. I failed him. He almost died that day and all because I wasn't a good mother. I was the one who suggested that they stay home. If I had just listened to Tawfiq and brought them along with us, nothing would have happened to him or Tawfiq." Naima cried.

"Come here. " Zain hugged her. Her hands were by her sides as fresh tears fell from her eyes again. She didn't want to cry but she just couldn't seem to stop it.

"It's not your fault. Karim doesn't think you failed him... He thinks you are angry with him for being kidnapped. Talk to your son. Before you lose him. " Zain soothed.

Why would Karim think that? She would never get angry because of that.

"Thank you. I'm sorry I overreacted." Naima apologized.

"No need. Just go up and talk to him. Explain to him what is going on. He is more bright than you think." Zain was right. Karim was like his father. He could understand stuff children his age clearly shouldn't.

Naima nodded when he let her go. She hurriedly went upstairs to Karim's room. He was on the bed with the covers covering his whole body. It was too hot for that....Naima thought.