January

Month: January, 1981. Status: going steady with Brian. Still have a crush on Jesse. Jesse Situation: So far, six pictures hang in my room. Obsessed?: Completely.
I looked at my diary entry. That's the strangest entry I have ever done. I looked at the picture of Jesse on my desk. I had taken that one when I wrote a story about his band for the paper. The picture next to my bed was taken around the same time, for his other band. That's right; he belonged to two bands. I had three more strategically placed on my wall so when I was falling I sleep, he was the last thing I saw.
"Becky, my dear sister, you are obsessed with this Jesse hunk!" Connie leaned on my door frame and crossed her arms.  She walked into my room. "And you're dating Brian. What are you to do?"
"I dunno! I mean, everybody likes me now, except Casey's squad, of course."
"Oh, yeah. The whole school knows how you had a mini mental breakdown."
"I'm sorry! She was getting on my nerves!"
"So.... about this Jesse fella.... whatcha gonna do?"
"I don't know. I mean, we've talked before, and he seems to like me. As a friend, I mean. I know he dated Casey for, like, two days before he couldn't stand her anymore."
Connie laughed. She was in most of the same classes as Casey. "Yeah, She is hard to take."
"I know some stuff about him, cause of the paper. But I want to know him more, on a personal level, y'know?"
"Yeah. Yeah, I do know. He's a nice guy."
I looked at my sister.
"I have a few classes with him."
I nodded. "Oh, Connie. What am I gonna do?"
"I dunno."
The truth is, I didn't even know how to handle this situation. I wasn't by any means dating Jesse, but dating Brian didn't feel right. He had given me his pilot's jacket as a sign of going steady, which I was excited about. I knew that Jesse had dated almost every girl in school, except, of course, DJ. She was his sister in law, for Pete's sake!
'What you don't know won't hurt you' . What I didn't know, and what Connie wasn't telling me, would hurt me. A lot. But that was yet to come. And I had no idea that had happened, or was continuing to happen.