Chapter Ten

I feel well rested after my long sleep. Gerald promised to tap our shoulders and whisper, "Wake up," instead of ringing the cowbell.

I get up slowly and stretch out my arms. Eren is still asleep, so I ruffle Eren's hair and say, "Get up Eren, you're not sleeping in again."

He leans up with a groan and rubs his eyes. I turn around and gather my clothes, quite merrily actually. "Meet in the kitchen in five minutes. Please, don't extend your time." I say chuckling. I go to get changed.

* * *

Surprisingly, Eren is in the kitchen five minutes later. "Are you ok?" I ask him, placing the back of my hand on his forehead. He blushes. "Yeah, why?" He asks awkwardly, taking a few steps back. "You're actually awake, so I'm just checking if you're not ill or anything." I say smiling. "Well, let's go outside."

We make our way out to the back garden. I sigh as I head over to the shovel. Time to give this another shot.

I grip the shovel tightly and plunge it in to the ground. It's softer than yesterday. I push down really hard and I feel the shovel giving way. I let go immediately. I hold it again but much more gentle. I take the shovel out and try again. I push slowly, and I feel the shovel breaking through something.
I push further this time and the shovel comes out the ground again. Result of my force, the shovel, still in my hands, flys in to the air, spraying me with dirt. I drop the shovel, and it makes a loud noise as the metal crashes against the stone. When I turn around, I see that I cut off the head of the potato.

I look back at the now sliced potato still in the soil, sprinkled with dirt. I feel anger and frustration. So much frustration. I can kill Titans, but not even dig up a potato?

My eyebrows twitch madly, and I hear Gerald say, "What did you do?! Are you purposefully trying to ruin my crops?!"

Are you being serious?

"Listen! I've worked off my ass since I started doing your work, and you think that you can come up to me and ask if I'm messing up your stupid vegetables?!" It's all building up, the annoying, childish behaviour, dirty looks and now he yells at me? I've had enough and I'm ready to raise my fist at him. I scream out until I feel a hand pull my arm back. I turn around and it's Eren.

He drags me inside. "What the hell is wrong with you, Mikasa?! That guy just gave us a place to stay and you decide to yell at him? Are you for real?" I look up to him in utter shock. I look down to my hands to see that they're shaking, and my whole body is too. I run my hands through my hair and try to think about what just happened. I was just about to punch Gerald! I can't believe what's gotten over me. "I-I..." I can't even make a single word.

I feel tears form at the back of my eyes, I try to hold them back, but then they start to ache. They're desperate to come out.

I can't hold them back anymore and they stream down my face. I cover my eyes, embarrased, and say," Eren, I don't know what I was thinking. I'm so sorry. I must've embarrased you so much." Even I couldn't properly understand what I was saying, because I was sobbing and my hands filtered my voice.

Eren grabs my wrists and pull them away from my face. "Stop crying." He says before grasps my scarf and pulls me towards his face and kisses me.

My eyes widen, and my cheeks go unbelieveably red. I'm...I can't be-

When he slowly pulls away from me, I look down, feeling so nervous and confused and-

I can't even finish my sentences in my head, properly.

"Eren- You?" I shakily mutter. He looks at me with a plain facial expression but his cheeks rubescent. I can tell there's a lot going on in his mind.
I feel the tears starting to make my face itch from the salt-like extracts, so I wipe the tears from my face.

All this time, I only now realise that...
I do actually like him. A lot. The reason why I protected him all these years, why I've had this bond to him... It's because, I love him.
But, I've been denying it all this time.

"Will you kiss me again?" I whisper, not even thinking about what I am saying. He leans towards me and presses his lips against mine. They're so soft, and he's so gentle. It almost feels like I'm going in to some dream... Then I see a memory materialise before me.

I'm in a courtroom, and Eren is tied to a metal post. The judge speaks, "Just after transforming, seems you made an attempt to crush Mikasa Ackerman." Oh no, not this.
Eren turns to me rapidly with such a worried and shocked facial expression. He doesn't remember anything.
I give Rico a displeased look. "What do you expect? Do you want me to lie in the report?" She says, "Glossing over that important fact could potentially spell disaster for us all."

The judge speaks again, "And who is this Mikasa Ackerman?"

"Me. That'd be me, sir."

"Alright then, is it true that Eren Jaeger assaulted you while he was in Titan form?" Oh my god, what do I say? I don't want Eren to get hurt, but what will happen if I lie? I start to panic, but I try to not show it as much as I can.
"Answer the premier honestly. Eren's future depends on it." Rico tells me.
I clench my fist and I feel a sweat bead roll down my head. I have no choice now.

"Yes, all of that's true." I look at Eren and it looks as if he has seen a ghost. I'm sorry, Eren...

The people chatter among themselves.

I need to say something to clear his name

"However, he has also saved my life, twice before, and in each circumstance, he was using his Titan ability." I say, "The first, shortly after Trost fell, I was nearly killed by a Titan, but then Eren came. He stepped in and protected me. The second time, he transformed to sheild Armin and me from cannon fire. I emplored you to take these facts in to consideration." I feel relieved, I may of helped him.
"Objection!"An unfamilar voice speaks.
He explains to the premier that it's because we grew up together and he saved me from the burgulars. Basically, just calling it an excuse. Anger boils inside me.
"Eren Jaeger and Mikasa Ackerman at the tender age of nine, dealt with three adult kidnappers by stabbing all of them to death." He says. He rambles on and on, and I often find myself lacking attention as he infuriates me more and more. Embarrasing both of us.

A man points to me, "Maybe she's one." My heart jumps. "I bet she's not human either!" Another shouts aloud. "Dissect her too, just to be safe." Suddenly, fear strikes me. They all think I'm...This is madness! I feel myself trembling as they all accuse me of false things. What are they thinking?