Chapter Two (Remake)

I become acquainted with the foliage immediately after I'd processed just what the hell was going on. The air was squeezed out of my lungs and it takes me a few moments to catch my breath.

Crawling onto my elbows, I turn back to where I once faced. Eren emerges from his Titan, steaming to such an extent that I can feel the heat from where I am crouching.  

His human feet meet the earth again and he makes his way to me, almost what seems to be a frown painted on his visage. He looks disappointed.
"Why were you in Titan form?" I ask, still a little breathless. 
He crouches beside me to save me bending my neck awkwardly. "There was a man out here," he spoke subtly.

My furrowed brows is question enough for him to continue. "I was getting some thinking time done, so I was just riding and getting some air. It was only some time ago that I stumbled across this man. I thought he was injured by the way he was maneuvering, but he struck my horse with a gun after I slowed down to help him out. Knowing I was unarmed, I transformed as a reflex. I tried interrogating him for answers and his motives, but he wouldn't budge."

He tucks a loose hair behind his ear. I notice he hasn't cut it in some time. 

"I... When he," he paused, like he's distressed. "I had him in my hand and I held him tightly enough for him not to fall, but loose enough for him to wiggle an arm free and shoot me in the eye. I crushed him upon collapsing to the floor."

My throat goes dry and I realise I've been tightly clenching my teeth for a while. I loosen them upon recognition. 
"Eren, I-"

"I searched his body... He had a sketched portrait of me... And you." 

My lips part as I am going to say something, but nothing comes out. I am in utter shock at what I am hearing and await for him to continue. 

"We are being targeted, Mikasa." 

My heart skips a beat and I sit up from my position and slowly reach to grab his hand, more so for comfort than anything else. For us both. He doesn't reject that. 

I don't really have any words as I stare into Eren's eyes and he stares back into mine. He sighs. 

"Just when you think it's over..." He starts. "The Titans are finally gone but now we have our own turning on us. Our own kind, working to fuck our lives over another fucking  time." I hear the rage building in his voice and one can tell he's trying hard to mask it. 

I squeeze his hand a little harder for reassurance. "Eren, we need to investigate this. We can't let this slip by."

"I'm not involving anyone else. Heck, I don't even want to involve you."

"You're not going through this alone, it's also my burden... Both of our lives are at stake, so I must protec-"

I stop myself to rephrase.

"We must protect one another."

He doesn't debate with me and chooses to merely look down to the floor instead with a look of clear stress in his eyes.

I suddenly remember to shoot the green flare and I warn Eren to cover his ears before standing up an firing. 

"What's that about?" Eren asks whilst rising to stand beside me.
"Armin and I were looking for you."
"Why were you looking for me?"
"I... I wanted to apologise for intervening yesterday like I-"

"Not necessary. I should have come to you considering I punched you. I- I am sorry about that, I really didn't mean it. I was just riled up at the time."

I press a small smile and shake my head. "We can put that behind us now." 
There's a twitch in the corners of his lips, but it's evident to see that today's events has him worried, fatigued... It's not even noon yet. 

"We should wait here for Armin to arrive. I hope I stayed within firing range and didn't stray off course."
Eren hums in agreement and reclaims his seat in the small pile of fallen leaves.

  * * *  

Armin had reunited with us before the sun reached its highest point and Eren jumped onto the back of his horse. I eyed him a few times as to ask whether we should bring up that topic, but I got the message when Eren completely missed out the part where he encountered that man. He really did not want anyone else involved. I believe it's more for Armin's safety than a trust issue; they are best friends and in another situation, Eren would confide in Armin with this information. Our friend would be mad if he found out what we were keeping from him and I am not sure if Eren ever intends to let him know. 

But, maybe some things are best left unsaid. 

~

Eren urged me into his room for privacy and we keep our voices low to ensure nobody else could hear.

"I don't know about you, Mikasa, but, I think we should... Leave the walls." 
"Are you sure about that? We really don't know enough and the last time we left just look at what happened."
"Exactly. We need answers and we need to ensure the safety of us and the people within the walls. Surely, whoever wants us dead lives among us or they know people in here that has managed to get those sketches of us."

He poses a good point, but we need more time to think this through. This is a huge decision after all and... We are really oblivious to what is out there.

"You can stay if you want to, Mikasa. I know you can handle yourself, but I am begging you to weigh everything out. I can't ensure your safety if you're here and I am fuck knows where and I can't trust anything here anyway."

"Of course I am coming with you. I would never let you go out there alone, I am coming with you."
I said that twice, but I hope it gets my message across exactly how it needs to be.
"I promised I would always be by your side, no matter what. And... you're right about all of that."

His eyes are trained on mine for a good ten seconds before he gets up and assembles a backpack at a quick pace. 

"Get your things ready. As much as we can we should bring. Tomorrow morning before the bell rings."

By the way he is moving, by the way he is talking, I can see that he is trying to act quickly before he can change his own mind. Or maybe before he thinks I might... 
Either way, I nod and head to my room to do the same.

I pack all essential items and keep things I can live without minimized. My heart begins to race as adrenaline pumps through me at the thought of what is actually happening, what are we going to do.

This is real.