Healing

Ten days later, Klaus wakes up. Elijah and I didn't bother to move him, and when Rebekah got home from her shopping trip she only sighed before stepping over him, probably rolling her eyes behind her sunglasses. We haven't even mopped up the blood surrounding him. 

He inhales quickly as he sits up, his new heart beating erratically in time with his breathing. I sit on the steps close to him, fixing him with a hard gaze. He turns to me, and glares. "Don't give me that look," I mutter. "You deserve what you got." 

"No I didn't," He argues, his voice rising and his temper snapping. He rises to his feet, shaking in anger and exhaustion. I stay sitting down. "All I did was take a chunk out of pretty boy's neck. I never ripped his heart out." 

"No," I agree, staring straight into his eyes, even if it means I have to tilt my head up further than is comfortable to do so. "But! You have healed, and he has not." 

Klaus almost rolls his eyes, clearly not listening to me. But then what I said registers, and he laughs. Out loud. "Ha! Has he not? How priceless."

"Priceless?!" I screech, rising to my feet. I storm forward, pushing him backwards in the process. "Priceless?! You tore his neck open, Klaus. They don't have the flesh you tore out because it shattered or something so they're waiting for it to close on it's own. That could take months! He can't even drink blood to speed it up because you tore straight through. The blood keeps leaking out the tear so he can't heal! How dare you laugh at him!"

"Woah! Bella, calm down," Klaus puts up his hands, laughing slightly to himself, shaking his head in amusement. I feel my eyes go red and the veins run down my cheeks in anger. My gums burn as my fangs pierce them. "He'll be fine in time." 

"In time," I laugh breathlessly. "We should be saying that about you, Klaus! You're the one who had his heart ripped out, and yet here you are, ten days later, standing here in all your annoying glory and laughing! Meanwhile, Edward is lying on the couch in his home with Carlisle pressing a towel to his neck in the hopes they'll get some blood in his system! For God's sake Klaus when did you become such an ass?!" 

He looks taken aback at this, and steps back slightly. It's my turn to laugh this time as he slips in his own blood and, completely exhausted from all the lying around and healing, falls flat on his back. He holds out his hand to me, asking me to help him up. I simply laugh, walk straight past him to the front door, and mutter, "Have fun!" Before running to the Cullen mansion. 

I knock. Rosalie answers. "No," She says, beginning to shut the door. I stop it with my foot, pushing it open and her out of the way, walking into the Cullen home. Esme greets me. 

"Hello sweetheart," She murmurs, hugging me gently. Rosalie shuts the door gently behind us. "How are you?" 

"Klaus woke up," I sigh. "He laughed when I told him about Edward. He slipped in his own blood and fell. I left him there." I pause for a moment. "Why do I love him, Esme?"

"The heart is a funny thing, dear," She says simply yet vaguely, putting her arm around my shoulders and leading me towards the front room. "Let's talk about that later." 

Edward is sitting up today, which is an improvement from when I saw him yesterday, but he still has the support of cushions. He is getting weaker by the day, and you can see it in his face. The circles around his eyes are so dark his eyes look as though they have sunk into his face. His face is thinner than normal and he tires quickly. But he can't sleep, so after a while he just has to lie down, hoping in vain that it will bring back some of the lost energy. But the only way to bring back that lost energy is by giving him blood, and preferably human blood. But even if he could actually drink blood, he would refuse it; not wanting to risk the memories of his judgement years haunting him again. 

"Hello," I say as cheerily as I can, and Edward smiles a bit, but still weakly. His hand flies to his neck suddenly, but Carlisle catches his wrist before it reaches his destination. 

"Don't," Carlisle warns, slowly letting go of his wrist. 

"I can't help it," Edward mutters, his voice hoarse as it has been these past ten days. "It's really irrratating." 

"You'll just have to bear it, little brother," Says Emmett as he plops down on the couch next to Edward. Edward rolls his eyes. 

"What's irratating?" I inquire, walking closer to them. 

Emmett chuckles. "Eddie's neck is healing!" He exclaims loudly. "But he says 'it tickles and it itches', but Carlisle says that's a good thing." 

I grin widely, reaching out to high-five Emmett, who complies. He's grinning too. "Elijah says he's sorry," I tell them all, and Rosalie rolls her eyes while everyone else chuckles. 

"He says he's sorry everyday," Rosalie complains. "And he's not the one who should be sorry." 

"I know," I sigh. "But as Rebekah and Klaus are incapable of remorse, Elijah does that for them. It's why he known as the moral one, I guess." 

Rosalie nods, crossing her arms and leaning back against the wall behind her. Suddenly, we hear a shout from outside, and a crash. Carlisle orders the girls to stay inside as we recognise Klaus's voice, and so Emmett, Jasper and I head to the front door. Carlisle stays behind to make sure the women are safe and Edward doesn't try to do anything reckless. Like, get up and challenge Klaus again, for example. 

When the three of us get outside, Klaus is struggling against something that is hidden behind him and the trees. He breaks free of the unknown force and runs forward a few steps, stopping when he sees my brothers and glares at all of us. The unkown force, who happens to be Elijah, steps out of the trees, brushing down his suit jacket, examining a tear in one of the sleeves with mild dismay. "I'm sorry, Bella," He says softly, knowing that even despite the distance, even the Cullens who remained inside will be able to hear him. "I couldn't stop him."

"It's okay," I answer, just as quietly, glaring back at Klaus with just as much ferocity. "I understand." 

And I do. When Klaus wants something, there is nothing that can stop him. Well, I've been told that there's one thing. 

And that one thing is me. 

So as we size each other up across the Cullen's front lawn, I'm prepared to try and take him down, even if one of us ends up losing our hearts while doing so.