Arguments and Comfort

A/N I wrote this while watching the end of Titanic, so the end gets a bit, uh, emotional because I was running on the scene with the violins where the people know they're going to die and... Tears. Probably the most emotional birthday present I've ever gotten, and yes, I do share a birthday with Edward Cullen. :) Sorry the wait has been so long. Enjoy!

Arguments and Comfort 

"Get out!" I wake up to shouting. "You're not wanted here." 

"How would you know?" Another voice retorts. "Have you asked Bella?" 

It's Klaus. 

"I don't have to," The first voice snarls. "You're not welcome in this house; on this property." 

And Edward. Shit. 

The snarling quiets again, and I leap out of bed just as Esme cries out in horror and a sickening metalic sound rips through the air. When I get to the bottom of the stairs I'm mortified. Both of their shirts are in tatters; Klaus has a bite mark on his left shoulder that's oozing venom, and Edward's arm... 

Is on the floor. 

"Bella," Esme greets me. "Did you have a nice sleep dear?" 

"What did you do?!" I scream at Klaus, walking straight past my vampire mother. Edward is being seen over by Carlisle, and it's when he lies down on the floor do I see the gaping hole in Edward's neck. 

My anger spikes. 

"Well?!" I screech at Klaus. 

He has the audacity to smirk. "He bit me first, love." 

"Don't call me love," I whisper, dangrously low. "I am not your love!" 

As I say this I shove his chest forcefully, rather surprised as the tips of my fingers penetrate his chest. An idea comes to me then, and Alice looks at me, shock written all over her expression. I walk towards Klaus (rather seductively, I might add) and place my right hand over his heart. Curling my fingers into a claw, I begin to push. My fingers burrow into his chest and he grimaces and tries to pull away. Before long I have a quite literal grip on his heart. 

I haven't done anything this violent in decades. It's thrilling. 

"Listen here, bastard," I growl, venom lacing every syllable. "You wil not, harm them - any of them - again. Do you understand?" 

As I say this my grip on his heart tightens, and he lets out a very quiet grunt of pain, and what I suspect is surprise. "What was that?" I question, my voice mocking him. He grunts again, trying to pull away but aware that if he tries to escape too quickly there is a chance (and a very large chance at that) that his heart could be ripped out. It wouldn't kill him, but it would take a very long period of time for him to recover. 

"I understand," He chokes out. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry." 

The thing Klaus has never understood is that I know him. I know his strengths and his weaknesses and his strengths. I know that he is capable of caring. I know when he is telling the truth, but above all, I know when he is lying.

"Yeah right," I mutter, leaning toward him, our noses almost touching. Then, in one swift movement, I rip out his heart. 

"Hello friend," I greet Elijah, casually walking into the Mikealson home. Elijah raises his eyebrows from the balcony as Emmett drags Klaus's lifeless body behind him. Blood smears across the marble white floor. I look back at the crimson stains before looking up at Elijah. "That won't be too hard to clean, will it?" 

"Maybe not," Elijah replies, running down the stairs and standing next to me within a second. "But I would like to know why my brother's blood is coating the floor." 

"He removed Edward's arm, so I removed his heart," I answer nonchalantly, taking a seat on the stairs. 

Elijah turns to me, lifting one eyebrow. "Whatever happened to 'an eye for an eye'?" 

"That went out the window when he took a chunk out of Edward's neck." 

"Ah," Elijah nods, a ghost of a smirk lifting his lips. 

Emmett chuckles at his reaction and my attitude to my 'love's' murder. "You need anything else, Bells?" 

"No, I'm alright thanks Em. You can just leave him there," I smile sweetly, pointing to the hard cold floor. 

Emmett grins his dimpled grin before roughly throwing Klaus roughly to the floor and leaving swiftly, probably to make sure his 'little' brother is okay. Carlisle was reattaching his arm when we left, dragging Klaus across the forest floor causing more cuts to his face that didn't heal very quickly due to the fact he isn't even alive. In fact, the marks are still covering his face and arms.  

"Rebekah has gone shopping if you want to see her," Elijah says, stepping over his brother's body to go back to the stairs. 

"That's okay," I mumble, looking anywhere but at Klaus. The violence and the moment of it was thrilling, but now I'm ashamed. I loved him once. What happened? 

I know exaclty what happened, I think sourly. Nik, relatively kind Nik, fiercely protective Nik, went from that to Klaus. Violent, ruthless Klaus who kills without thought. Klaus who hurts those he loves. Klaus, who pushes people away. I just wish I knew what happened for that change to take place. "What happened to him?" I whisper, tears beginning to form in my eyes. 

"Many things," Elijah sighs, stolling to sit next to me. Blood from his shoes leaves prints on the floor. "You know he was the one that killed Mikael, and even though he was never Klaus's father, Nik always fought for his approval only to be literally beaten down again. Then our mother came back, and Klaus had killed her too and she said she forgave him, and then tried to kill us all. Of course Finn helped her as he never wanted to be a vampire in the first place, and even though Klaus and Finn never got along he was deeply troubled by our brother's death. As, after all, these people were still his family, technically, and no matter what Klaus says I believe that he does still care deeply for his family."

"I'm not so sure," I reply darkly, looking away from him. 

I feel a hand rest on my shoulder, pulling me towards him. Slowly, Elijah, one of the many men I love in this world pulls me into the warm circle of his arms. I miss the cold embrace of Edward, but heat-wise Elijah has nothing on Jacob. As the tears fall he kisses my hair softly, placing his cheek on top of my head. "He does care for you, Isabella," He whispers gently, "But I do too. Please, never forget that." 

I won't, I promise silently. I care for you too.