I'm Safe... And Happy?

"Carlisle!" I exclaim. "What are you doing here?" 

He steps back a little bit. "I just wanted to make sure you're okay." 

"Well, clearly I am," I stutter. "Now, Elijah and Klaus and both here, so you have to-" I'm cut off by footsteps behind me. I turn to see both named men standing behind me, one at the foot of each staircase. "Let's talk outside." 

"Isabella!" Klaus begins, but Elijah stops him. 

"Give her this, brother. They cared for her while you could not. You know how highly she speaks of the parents," He mutters. 

I step towards Klaus, "Please Nik." As I look into his eyes I see the man from all those years ago. Protective, and only ruthless when it comes to the welfare of those he loves. "Carlisle would never hurt me." 

"Don't be long," He growls out in answer, and I smile widely. 

"Thank you!" I cry, kissing him softly before running back to Carlisle and out the front door. Once outside I grin up at the darkening sky. "I've missed vampire speed."

"I think it might take some getting used to on my part," Carlisle breaths behind me. I turn to him again, smiling. 

"I'm sorry," Is the first thing I say. "I'm sorry I left so suddenly. I'm sorry I left your son for another man. I'm-"

"Bella, stop," Carlisle interrupts me. I fall silent and wait for him to speak. "It's okay. But... I just had to make sure you're okay. I had to let you know that what I saw while you were hunting... Don't worry about me judging you for that. I understand it's your instincts, especially if you hadn't tasted blood for such a long time." (A/N: I realised the other day that Bella shouldn't have been able to go this long without hunting, so let's just pretend she doesn't need blood.) 

"Is that all you came for?" 

He pauses for a moment, choosing his words carefully. "We miss you Bella. We care for you. All of us." 

"I care for you too," I whisper, looking down at my shoes, my heels. I love being graceful. "But you just have to trust that, for whatever reason, I'm safe... and I'm happy." 

"You don't sound so sure," He challenges. I sigh, closing my eyes. 

"I am sure, Carlisle, truly," I look up at him as I speak, forcing myself to make eye contact. "I am happy, but just like everybody else I live with burdens." I glance back at the house to see Klaus looking at us from one of the second story windows. "I'm afraid I have to go. Klaus grows ever impatient. Please tell Edward I love him, and I always loved him. But I love Klaus more. Give the others my best."

I move forward to hug him quickly, waving as I skip back to the front door. He waves back with a perfect smile on his face. "Bella," Elijah greets me once the white door is shut. "You seem more at peace. I trust Carlisle was kind to you."

"Like you weren't listening," I murmur as I stride passed. "And I am at peace. One of my many burdens has been lifted." Quickly, I rush up the stairs, stopping when I get to the top and leaning against the balcony. Elijah smiles at me from below.

"And which burden is that?" He inquires with a grin. I hear Klaus walking about on the floor above us. 

"When I left the Cullens," I begin, looking straight ahead with a slight smile. "I left very suddenly. There was no proper goodbye or time for proper apologies. I never explained to Edward. Hopefully my message I gave to Carlisle will put whatever angst he has against himself at ease." 

"You think he blames himself for you leaving?" Elijah tilts his head to the side with a questioning air. 

I laugh. "Oh, he'll find some way to put some blame on himself."

"I don't know what you saw in him, love," Klaus murmurs, walking behind me and snaking his arms around my waist. 

"Well, there are his looks for a start," I tease. Klaus growls lowly, turning me around. 

"Well," He smirks. "Later, I'm taking you out. Somewhere special. Wear something nice." 

"Whatever you say," I sing, kissing his cheek before he leaves. 

Once he's out of earshot I look back down at Elijah. "Klaus," I answer his unspoken question. "He's still Klaus."