Champagne and Scotch.

Start from the beginning

"And, who's fault was that?" Tony snubbed. 

"Not mine." 

"Oh, so it's my fault?" The genius retaliated, somehow finding a misguided rationale to feign innocence in this whole dilemma. 

I sighed, my reasoning for even attending this party not to start a fight. Our chat had fizzled into a sour one, and I didn't want to dampen the evening anymore. 

"I didn't come here to start another Civil War, Tony. Contrary to your popular belief this is your night, and I just came to congratulate you. Though Pepper is too good for you." 

Tony quirked a small grin at that, and raised his Scotch, making an effort to let bygones be bygones. To which I happily obliged, my Champagne flute clanging against his glass. 

"So, Doctor, huh? How'd that happen?" He began again, now on much more cordial terms. 

"Well ever since I got out of the ice I've been secretly studying to become a Doctor. That's how it happened." 

"How'd you finish up your residency so fast?" He grilled to which I smirked. 

"Some of the rules were bent a little for me. I think they factored in everything I had already done for this country." 

"Including helping a wanted criminal." Tony concluded, his words spoken like a joke, but I could read the underlying truth that surged behind his sentence. Bygones apparently not being bygones.

"I was never obligated to sign the Sokovia Accords in the first place, and funnily enough, there's no record of me having helped Steve anyway. I'm not an Avenger, remember? I'm not always in the spotlight." I countered, much to the snarky former playboy's dismay. 

"Uh-huh, what if I do a little tattle-taling on you then? Y'know, old school kindergarten style?" 

"You could," I began. "If you had any proof. But, I'm pretty good at cleaning up after myself. I think you'd only find deadends, and traceless hints. But, you wouldn't tell on my anyway." 

"Oh, yeah? Why wouldn't I?" 

"Because, Tony. We're friends," I responded, being the first to lay down my side of the argument. "Whenever there's not a crisis, or a threat to Earth, or an all out War between heroes. Whenever I'm not fighting you, and you're not threatening to lock up my husband... We do get along." 

"Or, whenever your hubby isn't killing my parents." Tony barred, his words coiled with leftover anger from that dark, snowy day. 

"It wasn't his fault." 

"He still did it." 

"Okay, fine. He did do it, and you've done things, I've done things... We all tote around the weight of the hurt we've caused others, and did I mention that I came here as a friend?" I said. 

With that the mechanic took another sip of his caramel hued drink, and exhaled deeply. Loosening his black bowtie he took a breather and watched Pepper from across the ballroom before turning back to me. 

"So, how is he? The hubby." 

"He's doing well. I was there when he woke up, and I've been visiting frequently. Which, by the way, thank you." 

"For what?"

"I know you know he's in Wakanda, and I also know that Thaddeus doesn't know, so thanks." I said. 

"Odd time to bring up being thankful and all with me threatening to tattle." Tony added. 

"Well, you would of found out where James is anyway since one of my Medical Degrees is a Wakandan Medical Degree. You do the math, so I'm just saying thanks for keeping quiet." I praised, the party commencing on around us while we talked away, catching up. 

"Sure, what are friends for? Other than to kick you right in the face." The rich Avenger retorted, making me roll my eyes. 

"You still on that? That was years ago, and I could of hit you a lot harder." 

"I tell you, my eye still hurts." 

That did it, and I laughed, making him grin as well. For at least a second it felt like nothing bad had happened between us, and it made me glad I came. 

"It was great seeing you Tony." I finally disclosed, knowing that the night was drawing to an end. That my time here, at this event, was almost up. 

"Yeah, you too, Doc." 

"And, since you didn't bother to ask... He's fine too." I verbalized, knowing his ego would never let him be the first to bring up a certain Captain. 

"He? He who?" The Iron Man dodged, and I just smiled, reading him so well. He still cared, but his pride was getting in the way. 

"Bye, Tony. Congratulations again." I said, bidding him farewell before I exited the ornate gilded gold ballroom, and took off down the marbled halls. 

Being half past 2 in the morning New York's nightlife was still in full swing, but the traffic had died out a little. The streets almost quiet, if that was even possible. The hustle and bustle now mainly isolated to just bars and clubs. 

While waiting for a cab to turn up I couldn't help, but let my eyes wander. My gaze settling onto the darkened tower once more. It's dim "A" making me long for a bit of light instead, so I snapped open my clutch. 

Taking out the archaic flip phone I typed in his number, giving the hero a call

"Becky, are you alright?" He answered, straight away of course, and I listened to the concern laced onto his familiar, warm voice. 

"Yes, Steve. I just wanted to talk to you. It's been awhile." 

"It's good to hear from you, Becky. But, that's a phone for emergencies only." The spangled man who had turned in his stars and stripes lectured. 

"Well, I'm dying to see you again. How about that? I'm in New York, and I'll text you the location to meet up. How does tomorrow sound? Great?" I commentated, not giving him a second to object. 

"Becky-" 

"Good. I'll see you soon."