Champagne and Scotch.

Start from the beginning

The slightly eccentric billionaire had rented out the whole hotel with each guest having the privilege of an immaculate suite to retire in once the soiree was done. The hefty cost of this one night immeasurable, just to tac another engagement party under his belt; the fifth one. 

For the first party he bought an island, naming it after his betrothed. Then, it was a yacht trip up the west coast to stay at his Napa Valley vineyard. Then, a gala on the top floor of the Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest building, and then an all expense paid visit to Las Vegas, with of course a 5 star hotel included as well. Money apparently being of no concern for the husband-to-be, but I already knew that fact all too well having known him for so many years now. 

The woman of the hour Pepper Potts stood front center in the middle, a glass of red wine cradled in her grasp, a fine silk dress draped along her form. Her engagement ring giving the crystal chandelier a run for it's money in terms of radiance. 

She looked to be dimly amused by the company of others who crowded around her like vultures, pecking away for juicy details regarding the wedding. This absurdly extravagant night notably not her taste, nor her choice, but the CEO feigned delight as she listened to her band of admirers. 

With a cautious stride I made my way over to her, unsure of how my appearance would be perceived, but as I strolled closer I was met with a smile by the red haired woman. 

Pepper's gang of zealous devotees fanned out as I walked up to her, giving us some privacy to talk as they settled on pestering her at a later time which I was pleased about.

"A bit much, isn't it?" The Executive Officer remarked, taking a glance around at the red long stemmed rose bouquet center pieces, and at the expensive hors d'oeuvres on silver trays being passed generously around from guest to guest. 

"Yes, but I suppose that's just his nature, isn't it?" I added, making her nod in accordance, her having bared witness to his ostentatious ways for much longer than I, and all with the patience of a saint. 

"It's good to see you, Rebecca." She said with sincerity, and I was grateful for it. 

"You too, soon to be Mrs. Stark." I spoke just before the outlandish billionaire made his presence known. 

Adorned in a costly tux, and beaming with confidence he sauntered his way over to his fiance. 

"Hey, honey. Can you smooth some things over with your parents? I think I-" The Iron Man began, his sentence diluting out into a hush before inevitable silence at the sight of me. "Popsicle..." 

Behind his iconic tech glasses his hazel pools filled with bewilderment as he stared at me, utterly dumbfounded and surprised to see me after two years of my absence. An absence he chose, not me. 

"I'll give you two a minute to talk. I'll, uh, go talk to my folks." Pepper excused herself, pecking Tony's cheek softly before fading into the swell of attendees. 

"I was invited." I justified, snagging a glass of champagne off from a silver tray, the drink customary at celebrations, and I felt as though I also needed an alcoholic crutch for this imminent conversation. 

"Really? Much like the customary Christmas icon I checked the list twice, and I think I would of remembered seeing a Mrs. Rebecca Barnes on it." Tony shot back, swiping a Scotch on the rocks for himself, the ice in the crystal glass clinking as he took a swig. 

"True, but on the guest list it's Dr. Barnes." I defended. 

"What?" 

"I'm a Doctor now. Course you'd know that if you hadn't of childishly given me silent treatment for the past two years." I parried, taking a sip of the bubbling golden shaded drink in my hand.