Chapter Fourteen - Rhodey, Pepper and Happy, Part One

Start from the beginning

Rhodey, and Rhodey's family are also exceptions. Mama Rhodes is like Elle, in the way how he can't escape affection. She always insists on affection, and it's something that makes him love her all the more. Lila, Rhodey's niece, who is being raised by Mama Rhodes in Pennsylvania, is ten, and back before Tony went missing, she was 'getting too old for hugs, Uncle Tony!'. It wasn't until he returned safely from Afghanistan that she went back to hugging everyone. Though she doesn't stop now, of course. (Besides, how many kids get to say they can hug Iron Man?)

And Rhodey? Well. Rhodey's seen him at his best and at his worst, when he was a stupid fourteen-year-old genius in college, and when he was an idiot CEO before. He could count on Rhodey for just about anything.

But Tony's not exactly used to open affection. He doesn't see most of them often, after all, considering his Uncles live in a different state, one is in another country entirely with Aunt Peggy, and Mama Rhodes and Lila are also in a different state. Rhodey's probably the one he sees the most, and even then, that's only when he's on leave.

And that's only physical affection. Verbal affection is not something he does well. He doesn't know how to react to it, what to do with it, and usually whatever his blasé response is only ruins the moment, or even the relationship entirely.

At least when it's a hug, the person hugging him usually can't see his face.

Because of Howard, he was raised in the spotlight, ready for the sharks that were the businessmen and reporters. He knows what to do for just about anything...except actual affection. When he's in public, he tries to play off complements and such (which is usually what leads to news outlets calling him 'narcissistic'). But he still doesn't know how to react to them.

His mask always fails when it comes to positive attention.

"Why does she keep saying things like that?" Tony muttered in the shower, using the hose carefully so he didn't get water on his face (the first few times that happened were disastrous).

"Perhaps she actually means it, Sir," JARVIS suggested.

Tony paused. "I thought you didn't trust her."

"I don't," JARVIS commented. "Not entirely. You, Sir, are far too trusting. However, she seems to genuinely care about you, and her heartbeat remained steady the whole time."

Tony was quiet a bit before he said, "Hey, JARVIS, order a new grand, will you?"

"Yes, sir," JARVIS said.

Tony went back to showering, and started humming as he continued.

You don't have to be a prodiigyy, to beeeeee uniqueee...

He didn't hear him do it, but he's pretty sure that JARVIS was sighing, even if it wasn't audible.

*****

I finished making the pancakes and tidying up as Tony came out of the shower.

"It smells good," he said, taking a deep breath.

"Good," I said, passing a stack of pancakes across the island to him.

"Hungry much?" he asked, raising an eyebrow at my stack of pancakes, which was slightly bigger than his.

"Yes," I said, sitting across from him on the island. "I told you, using up magic burns a lot of calories."

Tony hummed, using the countertop to pull up the litterbox plans.

"Mrs. Dreyar," JARVIS said. "It is nearing 10:45. I believe you said you'd pick up Colonel Rhodes?"

I nodded, finishing up my pancakes. "Thanks for the reminder. I'll be back in a few, guys."