Whale Song

"Oh, what a beautiful morning!" sang Flippy, the whale, as streaks of sunlight filtered down through the clear, blue ocean. He swam to and fro, twirled around, then whooshed up through the waves, and jumped clear of the water in a perfect pirouette.

Flippy loved to sing and dance. The trouble was, although he was a very graceful dancer, his singing was terrible. His big mouth would open wide, as he boomed out song after song – but none of them were in tune! The dreadful sound echoed through the ocean for miles, sending all the fish and other ocean creatures driving into the rocks and reefs for cover, as the water shook around them. It was always worse, when the sun shone, as the bright warm sun made Flippy want to sing and dance with happiness. It has got so bad that the other creatures had begun to pray for dull skies and rain.

"Something has got to be done!" complained Wobble, the jellyfish. "Floppy's voice makes me quiver and shake so much that I can't see where I'm going!"

"Well, I know where I'm going," said Snappy, the lobster. "As far away as possible. My head is splitting from Flippy's awful wailing."

"Someone will have to tell Flippy not to sing anymore," said Sparky, the stingray.

"But it will hurt his feelings," said Wobble.

"Not as much as his singing hurts my ears!" snapped Snappy.

And so they decided that Sparky would tell Flippy the next day that they did not want him to sing any more songs. Wobble was right. Flippy was very upsetting when he heard that the other did not like his singing. He cried big, salty tears.

"I was only trying to enjoy myself!" he sobbed. "I didn't realize I was upsetting everyone else."

"There, there," said Sparky, wishing he had not been chosen to give the little whale the bad news. "You can still enjoy dancing."

"It's not the same without music," said Flippy, miserably. "You can't get the rhythm." And he swam off into the deep waters, saying he wanted to be alone for a while.

As Flippy lay on the bottom of the ocean floor, feeling very sorry for himself, a beautiful sound came floating through the water from far away in the distance. It sounded like someone singing. Flippy wanted to know who was making such a lovely sound so, with a flick of his big tail, he set off in the direction it was coming from.

As he got closer, he could hear a soft voice singing a beautiful melody. Peering out from behind a big rock, he saw that the voice belonged to a little octopus, who was shuffling and swaying about on the ocean floor. His legs seemed to be going in all directions, as he stumbled and tripped along. Then he tried to spin around, but his legs got tangled and he crashed to the ground in a heap.

"Oh dear," said Leggy, the octopus. "I seem to have eight left feet!"

Flippy looked out shyly from behind the rock.

"What are you trying to do?" he asked.

The little octopus rather looked embarrassed.

"I was trying to dance," he said, blushing pink. "But the problem is that I'm not very good at it."

"Well, maybe I could teach you," said Flippy "I'm a very good dancer. And then, in return, there is something that I would love you to teach me!"

A few weeks later, Wobble, Snappy, and Sparky were discussing how they missed having Flippy around when they heard a strange and beautiful sound floating towards them through the ocean.

"Oh, what a beautiful morning..." came the song, but this time there were two voices singing in perfect harmony!

"Surely that can't be Flippy!" said the others in surprise. But to their amazement, as the voices came closer they saw that sure enough, it was Flippy, spinning and twirling as he danced gracefully towards them with his new friend!