"I took off the glamour that dad put on you the second you were born."

I shake my head, how didn't I know I had a glamour on me for fifteen years? I feel my heartbeat begin increasing when I realize, "So, technically speaking, since I'm half human too, shouldn't I at least look a little human?" I ask him, "Cause right now I look like a faerie and..."

"Smurf."

My smile disappears, "I'm not a Smurf, Kal."

"But you look like one." A chill goes down my spine. He's right. I look like one of them and I can't help but want to take foundation and smear it all over my skin in hopes it'll make me look a little more human.

"Change me back," I demand.

"You don't want everyone to see who you really are?" He asks.

"Not when I look like the enemy! Change me back, please!"

He nods his head and touches my shoulders again, and very slowly I'm finally back to my human self. "People are already suspicious of you. Maybe you should show them what you really look like."

"If anything, I'm going to lose the small amount of trust my people have in me if I show up looking like a completely different species."

He pauses, "You don't have to be so dramatic, Katie."

In the corner of my eye, I see him roll his eyes. Frustration sinks in, "I'm leaving. I've got a lot to do, preparing the next ball and, heck, try and win a war!" I step out of the bathroom, ready to leave and have time to think. I look down at my hand and see a blotch forming.

"Wait, Katie!" He calls after me, but I ignore him.

I make it out of my brother's room, booting for my own when I hear someone call my name, "Katie!" A voice calls. I stop, already knowing who it is.

"Jace, I have things to do-"

"I know, but I want to ask you to be my date to the dance." He asks, walking right in front of me. He's taller than Tony, and I have to tilt my head back to see him.

I feel the corner of my lip twitch, "You've got some guts asking the Empress to her own ball." I comment.

He grins, his cheeks blushing. Dammit, why's he so cute?

I feel his hand take mine, and I almost want to rip it away. The blotches on my skin will hurt him like it's hurting me right now... but he doesn't seem to notice the pain my skin is giving, "Will you?" He says, bringing me closer to him.

"I'll think about it." I hear myself say, and I immediately curse myself for that response. You should say no.

"Is it that you just don't know if you like me?" He whispers, letting his breath lightly brush my skin. I shiver. "Or is it because of someone else-" His finger lightly trails up my arm, going to my shoulder, then my shoulder.

"I can't," I say, my mind still upset about what just happened with Kallan.

"Why not?" He asks.

I look up and wish I hadn't. His face is so close to mine I almost feel drunk from the closeness. "I can't focus on this stuff right now. I c an't focus on anything but winning this war."