Raised

-----

Katie

Looking back at me is not the people I once knew. The people that raised me. My mom looks different, with her once beautiful blue eyes that used to shine with such love and tenderness, but are now black. This isn't my mom, nor is the man standing next to her my father. 

I'm going to be sick.

Something comes in my mind, and I suddenly feel guilty. How come I hadn't thought about them once since I came here? How come I never mourned the loss of them? We've been here for almost a month, and not once have I thought of my parents.

Around them, I see people with different colored skin. Smurfs. Some skin is pink or purple. But my eyes are only on the familiar faces. Before I know it, I'm walking towards them. "Katie-" A voice says, their hand on my shoulder.

"Let go!" I scream, flinging myself away from the touch.

"No, you need to stay away from them! They're not your parents-" Tony says.

I look up at him, letting my fingers form a dark sword, darker than the night, in my hand. "How do you know they look like my parents?" I ask, bringing my sword up into his vision.

"She looks like you." He whispers motioning towards my mom.

I narrow my eyes, not trusting him. "Bull."

His eyes widen, "What?" He asks dumbly.

"You're lying," I say as I look into his eyes. "I don't have time for this." I turn around, this time not taking my time as I walk toward them. And as I'm little over two yards away, a short figure comes forward. My brother. His light brown hair is longer now, some parts sticking in various spots as it usually does when he lets it grow. I feel like sobbing. I want to wrap my arms around him and tell him he's ok. I'm here, and I'll do anything to make sure he's safe. But he's not really my brother. My brother died the night of the alarms. 

All of their eyes are the same black emptiness, the only physical indication that they've changed. "Katie!" I hear Jenna say, but I don't focus on that as I continue forward. I bring up my sword and don't let myself look as I bring it into the child's chest.

I really am a monster.

I am the Empress of this world, I need to think of my people. I don't look at the body as I take out the sword, thick blood dripping from it. The sound of my mother's scream takes me off guard as I look over to see tears falling from her. She's standing there, her mouth covered by her hands as she looks at what had been her son. My body suddenly feels to warm as my blood burns me alive. My father comes after me, his large form looming over me like a giant. His hand comes into a fist. "Katie!" Jenna screams this time, and I can feel her warmth close behind me. I raise my sword, almost to tears as I stab my father, holding back the guilt for now. My mom is delirious as I prepare to do the same to her. "I'll do it, Katie!" Jenna yells. 

I look back at her and see her looking at the red blotches that must be forming. "What?"

"You don't have to do this, I'll do it for you!"

I let one tear fall down my cheek and wipe away the others, "I can do it." I look back at my mother and feel weak. She's looking back at me, her black eyes filled with fury.