n i n e // s t r o n g e r

As the sounds of shuffling feet echoed through the halls, there were small bursts of laughter in between. Everyone had left the dojo except for these two individual scuffling on the mats.

"Yah, aren't you going to go easy on me?"

"Nope, I won't."

"I'm way lighter than you!"

"So what?"

A grunt and a thud was heard as one of them finally gained control and tossed the other over.

"I should've known if you were going to be this strong," Jisoo pouted as she frowned at Wonwoo, who was still hovering over her after slamming her down on the mat.

Chuckling, he teasingly replied, "well, it's a farewell gift so I've got to put up a fair fight right?"

Jisoo rolled her eyes. She kept her annoyed expression and asked, "aren't you gonna get off?"

"I don't wanna." Breaking into a cheeky grin, Wonwoo asked in return, "you want to go for a round of nureugi? (A/N: 누르기/nureugi literally means 'pressure' and is a technique of holding a person down. If the one being held down can free himself/herself in 20 seconds, there is no point gained or lost.)

"You wanna die?"

Laughing, Wonwoo got up and raised his hands in the air, "no, I don't wanna die."

Helping her up, they sat down in silence, only sounds of their heavy breathing could be heard. Glancing over at her, Wonwoo finally broke the silence with a soft chuckle, "seems like the first time we met."

Jisoo looked at him questioningly, unsure of what he meant.

Combing his fingers through his wet hair (because of his sweat), he continued, "the day you fought the guys who were picking on me, you didn't say anything and simply pulled me up. Don't you remember?"

Frowning, Jisoo tried hard to recall. "I didn't say anything? I should have..."

"You sure didn't! Do you know how frightened I was?"

The genuinely confused expression on Jisoo's face confirmed that she had absolutely no idea. "I only remember you were pretty battered." After a while, she continued, "and that the person I trashed was that arrogant U-21 martial arts guy. What was his name again?"

Bursting out in a huge laughter, Wonwoo rolled over hugging his stomach. Ever since knowing her, the strict, firm and fierce image that she had had slowly been destroyed. Never would he have known in the beginning that she was hilarious, dorky and deep down, a girl at heart. She was always mature despite having random outburst of childishness.

"But I guess I really wasn't wrong about you."

Wonwoo stopped laughing and watched her tilt her head to align her line of sight with him (for he was still lying on the floor).

"You've grown so much since. From that little bruised kitten to a proud, strong tiger."

Wonwoo saw in Jisoo's eyes a lovely and kind emotion, something he had never seen her express before and it tugged at his heart. It seemed like one of a mother whose son had just learned to speak and called her 'mama', yet it also seemed like one of a friend who was leaving somewhere far and saying goodbye.

Scrambling to sit upright, Wonwoo looked at her with worry in his eyes. As if she understood it, Jisoo calmly informed, "I've been accepted to Korea University. So it means I'll likely rent a place and stay in Seoul."

Wonwoo didn't say anything in response. He had a thousand thoughts dashing through his mind but was at a loss of words to speak out. He knew she was graduating. He knew she was going to college to get a degree. Yet it didn't occur to him that she'll have to leave.

I'll wait! But what does waiting actually mean? What if I go there? No. How am I to go there when I have two more years here?

Pausing in his tracks, he thought long and hard before saying, "I'll stay here and just get stronger. And when I graduate, maybe I'll head to college there or maybe somewhere else or maybe I'll just stay here."

Jisoo quietly laughed as she nodded her head, "I really picked up a good little kitten."

Wonwoo's response was exactly what she had hoped for - a mature, far from rash decision. Saying that one would wait simply seemed like empty words and overtime would cause strained relationships because either side would be too expectant of the other. Saying that one would go to do extremes would be ridiculously impractical considering their age difference and circumstances.

Satisfied with his answer, Jisoo stood up and said, "let's get going."

"Can't I walk you back?" asked Wonwoo. They had locked up the dojo and was at the forked road in which they had to go different directions.

"Nope, you go straight home now." Jisoo's decision was final.

Giving a small pout, Wonwoo conceded and they went on their separate way.

As he passed by Soonyoung's place, he heard a window slide open and softly banged the side. Sharply turning his head towards the house, he saw Soonyoung sticking his head out and waving fervently.

Gesturing his hand to signal him to wait, Wonwoo watched and waited as his friend ran down the steps, through the restaurant and out the front door. Throwing his arm around Wonwoo, Soonyoung dragged him towards the house as he said in a no-nonsense tone, "you're staying over tonight."

"Don't worry, I've got clothes and I've informed my parents." Pausing for a brief moment, he said, "you should inform yours too."

Wonwoo removed his shoes while Soonyoung simply kicked them off. (He was wearing slippers.) Neatly arranging his shoes (and Soonyoung's), Wonwoo dragged his feet behind his friend towards his bedroom located on the second floor.

Upon entering the room, he was surprised to find Jonghwa and Jihoon under futon covers spread out on the floor. Shoving clothes into his hands, Soonyoung instructed him to wash up immediately.

Not having the energy to argue or question, Wonwoo obeyed.

Fresh out of the shower, he walked into the room and was instantly tackled by Soonyoung who pushed him down onto the futons. Grabbing onto a pillow, he hugged it and placed his head comfortably on it.

Mumbling, Wonwoo asked, "what's all this?"

"Jisoo sunbaenim told us to 'keep you company tonight'," replied Soonyoung who was using Wonwoo's stomach as his pillow.

"Jisoo told you right? About Ko-U," Jonghwa asked. (A/N: Ko-U is like the short form of Korea University.)

Solemnly, Wonwoo nodded.

Chuckling at the adorableness of his dongsaeng, Jonghwa sat up and said, "alright, enough of that. We're here to listen and cheer you up so let's play some games."

"I don't wanna," Jihoon whined, manga still in his hands since Wonwoo came.

Snatching the book out of his hands, Jonghwa proceeded to grab him in a headlock. "Nope, you're playing too."

Watching all the nonsense taking place in front of him, Wonwoo couldn't betray a laughter as he was thankful for such great friends who'd stick by his side anytime, all the time.

It'll be alright.

- e n d -