s i x // g r o w t h

Striking a large 'X' on the piece of paper stuck on the wall, Wonwoo capped the marker and beamed proudly at it. It was the last day of his daily training schedule for the month. Looking at the other pieces of paper preceding the latest one, he realised how much he had been through and how much stronger he had grown.

Jisoo had been giving him a schedule each month, keeping some basic exercise while including higher difficulty ones. His body was now used to the intensity, having gained the necessary muscles and the perseverance over time.

He had also been learning new things every training, which was thrice a week – Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

The first skill he'd learnt was the most basic thing in Judo, which is learning how to fall, also known as nakbeob. Those few days were basically him being thrown over and over again till he just wanted to lay down and not get up.

He's now at a stage where he was regularly practising sparring with other students who though younger, have had more experience than him. Occasionally, he'd spar with Soonyoung and Jonghwa though they'd usually give him a handicap, especially Jonghwa, who had been training since he was small.

Whamp.

"Time's up!"

"Argh, I couldn't steal a point again," Wonwoo complained as he collapsed on the mats and sprawled himself out. Panting heavily, he messed his hair in frustration.

Chuckling, Jonghwa undid his uniform as he sweetly assured, "it's okay, you've been improving a lot considering it has only been four months." (A/N: Really had to add that 'undid his unform' portion because Jota seriously does that allllllll the time during the Judo series on Cool Kiz on the Block. But yes, he has the bod for it.)

Wonwoo shook his head. "I've still got a long way."

"Striving for better is good but you should take pride in your growth as well," a voice said which Wonwoo recognised was Jisoo's.

He looked over and saw her standing by the entrance. She was still in her school uniform and had to give training a miss because of some class responsibilities (which she was complaining about during lunch and he had thought the way she whined was adorable).

A towel landed on Wonwoo's head as he sat up and he heard Soonyoung agree, "that's right. You're a really fast learner. I wasn't this good in just four months."

Thanking his friend for the towel, he wiped his face and neck, still feeling upset that he couldn't steal even half a point from Jonghwa.

"You still have energy?"

Wonwoo removed the towel and saw Jisoo, now in her gym clothes and putting on her dobok, standing in the centre of the mats. Tying her uniform properly, she looked straight at him and asked, "wanna have a go?"

He immediately stood up. He was not going to let the chance to challenge her pass. Despite her much smaller build, he hadn't been able to steal a point from her either. Tossing his towel aside, he fixed his uniform and secured it quickly.

"Haha, even though you're tired Wonwoo?" Soonyoung laughed. He knew exactly how his friend wouldn't say no to a match against her, just as how he wouldn't either for they both were very passionate about their sport.

"You need a handicap?" Jisoo asked, sensing his fatigue (after the match with Jonghwa).

Wonwoo shook his head, "no need."

Jisoo smiled. He had grown so much in just a few months, from a child who knew nothing about sports or standing up for himself to one full of desire to improve and strive further. He never backed down and he never gave up.

"I was right about you," she said quietly to herself.

"Okay, let's start."

//

Wonwoo felt Soonyoung pounce on him from behind. Unfazed, he simply continued walking towards their usual dinner place, feeling extremely hungry and also extremely dejected.

"Aww, Wonwoo ah. Don't fret, you were just really tired," his friend chirped kindly, trying to cheer him up.

"Yeah, your body totally gave way in two minutes," nodded Jisoo.

"Plus there wasn't a handicap."

Wonwoo stopped abruptly in his tracks, causing Soonyoung to collide into him. Pouting, he said, "there was." Turning to Jisoo, he retorted, "you didn't use any of the skills you are good at."

"Oops, I got caught." Jisoo avoided his gaze and walked ahead.

"Plus to you used your left side!" Wonwoo shouted to Jisoo who was well ahead of the group. She was right-handed but attempted techniques on him with her left, a major handicap.

"There there," comforted Jonghwa. "Don't be so upset. You'll get there sure enough."

As such, dinner wasn't such a happy time for Wonwoo who was still sulking over his poor performance. He poked at his food and nibbled on his rice. It was so bad that Jisoo couldn't take it anymore. She scooped up a large spoonful of rice and stuffed it in his mouth.

"Sulk if you want but you still have to eat properly."

Making a face, he chewed on the rice and picked up his chopsticks. Beside them, Soonyoung and Jonghwa were trying their best to suppress their laughter. It wasn't often that the two would bicker but when they did, it was always amusing and hilarious because when the queen fights with a little cat, the queen was sure to win. And yet the little cat was never one who knew when to raise the white flag.

A new batch of hot soup was poured into the nabe (A/N: Japanese hot pot), interrupting their squabble. It was Soonyoung's halmeoni who clicked her tongue at the children and their foolish banter.

"Wonwoo, if you'd like to eat here, you better eat well," halmeoni said with a firm look. Looking down, he nodded and apologised. (Soonyoung and Jonghwa were still trying really hard to hold their laughter in because although halmeoni was speaking in a serious voice, they knew she wasn't actually angry.)

"And Jisoooo," halmeoni sung a tune as she turned to her. "Don't be so hard on the poor boy."

"자/ja, eat up and be happy. Delicious food means happy people right?"

"Right!" all of them replied.

"Good," halmeoni said cheerily as she went back into the kitchen.

Raising his head from his bowl, he looked at Jisoo and said with resolve, "I'll be sure to get a point soon."