Chapter 1: Awakening

I am exhausted. My body and fingers are numb. But I had enough strength to sit up and look around. I was in an small compact room full of medical equipment. The whole room was in total disorder and there were small splatters of blood on the counter to my right. I stretched and groaned a bit. No pain, just tiredness. I tried to stand up, but I could feel my chest being crushed by exhaustion and blood rushing to my head. I groaned as I stood. Reaching up to my head, I scratched my... long hair? I was surprised. I had long flowing hair, but as I remembered I had a shaved head. I walked forward to the door infront of me, then something tugged my arm back. Looking at my arm, I saw needle in my arm that is attached to an empty bag of I.V. that is hanging on the stretcher I was resting on. My skin was pale white. I was shivering in the cold.

          Next thing, I found out that I was naked and wearing a patient's apron. I looked around for clothes, but saw none. Just a really tore up police uniform I was wearing... yesterday? I couldn't remember what happened to me. I looked down saw a GLOCK41 semi-auto pistol on the floor. My police issued gun. I picked it up and found that the holster for it has disappeared. Its 13 round magazine is still full. I couldn't walk out naked, but I knew I needed help. I took another step toward the door. "Gah..." I yelped at the pain in my arm. I forgot to remove the needle. I pulled it out and a small amount of blood squirted from my vein. I took a cloth from my shredded uniform and wrapped it around my arm. Next, I slowly opened the door. The sunlight blinded my tired eyes so badly that I had to shut it. The sun ray burned me. My vision started to return as the white light I been seeing faded slowly. Only to find out that I was alone...

          The streets were littered with trash. Cars were abandoned. A couple of trucks were in a wreck and one of them was burnt up. A few crows cawed and flew over in the sky. The sky is painted orange-red by the sunset. I felt a small gust of wind and saw a piece of paper caught by the breeze. Then as I looked to the concrete floor, I saw several corpses on the floor rotting. A crow was on a female corpse plucking its eye out. I gasped and stared at her stomach. It was gone and blood covered her. She had no eyes for it was eaten and her chest was bitten away. Her teeth mangled and rotted black. She stared back at me with an empty face, and the thought of it nearly made me hurl. But I still need to continue on. I looked behind me and found out  I was in an ambulance vehicle all this time. I walked forward with no proper clothing and a pistol in my right hand. No one to find. No one to seem to call for. No one that is alive.

          For a few hours I walked bare footed. I kept seeing a corpse here and there. All were eaten up by something or caused by some other death. I felt insecure. I had my pistol cocked and ready to fire at anything dangerous. I keep wondering what had happened. Los Angeles was usually a busy city. Not as busy as New York, but still was. Now it's a ghost town littered with trash, wrecked vehicles, and countless numbers of corpses. I yearned to call for someone and yell out "Help!", but something stayed my voice from calling out. I sense something lurking from the shadows.

          It is getting darker and the sun is half gone. The temperature is also getting colder each minute. My heart raced and I did not feel safe anymore. I could feel someone or something watching me. Each step I took my strength returned, but my anxiety rose with it. As I weaved through the mass of cars and gave a reasonable distance away from the bodies, I looked around for a clothing store. Maybe I can shoplift without getting into trouble? I looked around. Mostly restaurants and fancy clothing. Especially women's clothing stores. They're everywhere. I needed regular clothes that I can actually work with easily. A pair of jeans or slacks would do nice.

          I scanned my eyes from left to right. I went in each store and restaurant I pass by to find a light source or something to eat. I was hungry for anything good I can find, and desperate for a flash light or a box of matches. But all I found were decaying food and bits of crumbs here and there. And I only found dead batteries, which were useless. All the stores were almost empty or just half empty of items. I still wonder what had happened here. Was there an attack?