Chapter 9

You can tell they thought you were going to be more shocked than you are. You thought you would have been more shocked than you are. But you're surprisingly calm. It is like everything just fits into place. It makes sense that Peter would be Spiderman what with his ability to be at your apartment in minutes, their whispered conversations surrounding Spiderman, and the fact that when you hugged him the night he came to your apartment, he had rope-like muscles under his sweater.

"So, this is the Stark internship?" You ask and Peter nods,

"Sorry for lying. I just need to have an excuse for where I am when I am Spiderman."

"No worries," you can feel yourself blushing, "so you saved me from that cab driver a few days ago?" Color fills Peter's cheeks too as he nods, staring intently at his fingers.

"Yeah, sorry for not telling you."

"God, Peter, stop apologizing. I get it!" You laugh, placing a hand on his, but quickly pull away, unsure. "Um, but you're worried about the photo right now?"

Peter sighs and leans back, "Yeah. I was at the top of a building last night and a maintenance worker came up on the roof. I didn't have my mask on and I think he got a shot of my face before I could get the mask back on."

"Well, did you move when the picture was taken?" MJ asks, worry straining her voice.

"I mean, yeah." Peter answers.

"Well, maybe it's blurry," Ned responds, catching on to what MJ is getting at.

"Yeah, but even if it is, unless it is a horrible quality photo, people might be able to recognize him from his stature or hair or something," I add, realizing I'm not really helping.

"Maybe," MJ says, "but then again, you do match the description of a lot of the population around here. 'White. Boy. Brown hair.' You know what I'm getting at."

"But guys, you don't understand. If people find out that I'm Spider-man, everything will change. I want it to remain a secret. Sealed away forever!" You can tell Peter is close to breaking down.

"Hey, we'll figure it out. I'm sure there are a ton of rumors going around. Just feed into the rumors. Push the scent off of you. You're pretty inconspicuous anyway, no offense. I'm sure no one thinks the cute science kid is a web-slinging superhero." You cringe at your own words, partially because you just called Peter cute, and partially because you just insulted his entire social status. Your cheeks burn at you look desperately to MJ, whose eyebrow is raised, but is smirking.

Thankfully, Ned comes to the rescue, "Yeah, just say it was me!" He winks at you and you laugh, thankful for his humor. Peter breathes a sigh of relief.

"We'll figure it out. Don't worry."