Chapter 2

When the bell rings signaling lunch later that day, your heart skips a beat. You can't help but feel excited to get to know your new acquaintances. In fact, you haven't been able to stop thinking about it all day. Peter's genuine kindness, the way you really hit it off with MJ, and Ned's inclusiveness are so different than the silence and stares that you've gotten in all your other classes throughout the day. You had Physics after Spanish and the super stuck up kid that called out Peter in Spanish ended up being your lab partner. He wouldn't let you even touch the catapult that he was building, but it didn't matter. You had no clue what the hell he was doing anyway. 

When you enter the cafeteria with your tray, you scan the room to find Peter, MJ, and Ned. It doesn't take you long because Peter is standing up and waving his arms to get your attention. You laugh at him and hurry over, excited to have some real conversation for the first time all day.

"Hey guys, how was your morning?" You ask, sliding into the seat beside MJ. 

"Good. Peter almost got caught-," Ned begins, but Peter elbows him quickly and Ned corrects, "uh, watching porn." Peter groans and whispers,

"Why is that always your go to?" 

"I don't know, it's a nervous tic!" Ned whispers back.

"You know we can still hear you." You tell them, and they both stop and stare at you, unsure of how to respond. MJ interjects,

"Peter almost got caught doing last night's homework during class." Peter and Ned both nod quickly and spoon a mouthful of food into their mouths.

"Oh," you laugh, "well, you don't have to lie about that! I do it all the time. Late night, Pete?" You ask. Peter gives a nervous chuckle and says, 

"Yeah, I guess you could say that." 

"Anyway, what about you, y/n? How was your morning?" MJ asks, and you shake your head.

"That jerkwad, Flash, wouldn't let me touch his Physics project and English was boring." Ned snorts and replies,

"Yeah, Flash sucks. Peter, remember last year at homecoming when-,"

"Ned," Peter says, looking like he's trying to get Ned to shut up. You're starting to get frustrated with him. He invites you to have lunch with him and his friends but refuses to let you in on any inside jokes.

"What happened?" You prompt.

Ned continues carefully, "Last year at our homecoming, Flash's car was stolen by Spiderman! It was found wrecked the next morning in an abandoned parking lot. It was awesome!" You frown and reply,

"Spiderman?"

Peter takes in a breath and says, "Spiderman is a superhero who protects Queens. He's basically the coolest Avenger out there."

You feel your eyes go wide, "He's an Avenger?! That's so cool, why haven't I heard of him?" 

"Because no one knows his true identity. He likes to keep a low profile." MJ answers. 

"Yeah, but rumor has it that he helped Iron Man when he and Captain America got into it." Peter adds, his chest puffing out a little bit.

"Wow, you're really a fangirl." You say to him and Ned snorts with laughter.

"You have no idea."