Chapter 4: A Not-So Celebration

People around the arena stared. My mom had come to me in person. I couldn't believe it. The goddess of hatred actually showed up for me. I felt a wave of emotions. Wow.

"W-why did you come?" I stammered. She sighed.

"My son, Kratos, god of strength told me about you." She sighed once more. "I was planning to claim you a few months later, though."

"Oh," I replied, a little disappointed. She put her hand on my back, and I felt an icy chill.

"Let's walk and talk," she said. We headed towards the woods. "Junie, you're powers are strong and great, but you must learn how to control them. They are powerful and at some points when not used correctly, dangerous." Her piercing blue eyes looked right at me. She was deadly serious. "You will soon go on a quest, a quest to find an item. I can help you along the way...but you must learn you can't rely on me. If you do, you will die a terrible death." I held my breath. I had so much to do. But now, a quest? No. I can't do it.

"Die?" I said softly.

"Yes. I could help you, though but it would come with a cost. I could make you...invulnerable," she said. It was tempting. "I am the goddess of the River Styx. All I would have to do is give you a bath, a bath with so many benefits," she enunciated. It sounded so nice. I was so curious.

"What is the cost?"

"Like Achilles' heel. One small spot of vulnerability. If you are struck with any weapon you will die painfully. You must choose which spot is best." My gut told me to not trust her, but she as my mother.

"I'll do it," I said confidentally. She touched my back which ran with electricity again.

"Let's go." And with that, we vanished. I looked at the disappearing woods and wondered if I had made the right choice.

______________

I woke up, and rubbed my head. It was just a dream, I said to myself. I looked around and gasped.

It wasn't.

Styx was by the River Styx. She stared at it. I looked at it too. Many things were in there: diplomas, broken dreams. She clasped her hands together.

"Let's get started." I walked up to her to the edge of the Styx. It gurgled. She then pulled me in. I gasped. The water felt awful. I felt like I wanted to die. But somehow, I was alive probably because I am the child to the goddess. I focused.

I focused on a spot on my rib cage, easily protected. Memories flushed into my mind. Some were at the orphanage. Others were before my dad committed suicide. I shuddered. My soul was starting to be sucked down the river. The current was getting too strong...

The goddess pulled me out. I gasped and panted. I had a stinging sensation running through my body. But I felt...powerful. Something I had never felt before. I almost felt as if the water worked too good. Styx pulled out a knife.

"Let's try it, shall we?" I took a deep breath in. She thrust the knife at my chest and the blade...shattered. Styx was confused as I am. "I don't understand," she said in disbelief. I was horrified too. The River Styx did work too well. "Let's get you back to camp. Hurry." We then vanished.

I got back to camp, running through the woods knowing I had missed a couple of hours and they were probably sending a search party. They weren't. As a matter of fact, they didn't seem to notice I had left. I was panting. Clarisse glared at me.

I glared back at her. At least I was invulnerable now.

"What are you looking at, punk?" she said brusquely.

"That's what I'm trying to figure out," I said. I hated her. I could blast her again if I wanted to. Clarisse grunted and began to continue cleaning her spear. I walked up to Percy.

"How long was I gone?" I questioned. He looked at me quizzically.

"Gone? You were only gone for five minutes." What?

"Oh, ok," I managed to say.

"Hey, are you alright? You look a little pale."

"Uh, yeah. I'm fine," I said nervously.

But the truth was...

I wasn't.