Chapter 2: My Parent Is...Ok, I'm Tired of Waiting

I looked at them confused. I'm one of them? What kind of question is that? But they looked dead serious.

"Who's my parent, then?" I asked them.

"You're undetermined," Annabeth replied. I didn't like the term undetermined. The weird horse man was just studying me.

"Ok, who are you?" I looked at him quizzically.

"I am Chiron, the centaur," he replied simply.

"The trainer of Hercules and Achilles? I thought you died long ago!"

"I am immortal, child."

"What?" I asked confused. Annabeth sighed. I had a lot to learn. Choron, or whatever his name was, pulled Percy and Annabeth aside. They whispered about something. I was dying to know what it was.

"We have decided to let you stay here in the Big House," the centaur announced.

"Where do the other people stay?" I asked.

"They have cabins. I'll give you a tour," Percy offered. I walked out with him. The landscape outside was beautiful. There were strawberry patches and a lot of cabins forming a U. I caught my breath. So, this was camp. There was a lake where some people were canoeing. I'd have to try it out some-time.

"I'm sorry I'm so dumb," I apologized.

"Hey, no worries, Junie. Everyone is like that when they first get here." We walked toward the stables. Inside were the most beautiful creatures I had ever seen. "Pegasi," Percy said. He looked at a black Pegasus. He just stared at it for a while. I wondered what he was doing. Maybe he was having a mental conversation or something.

"Let's move on," he said warmly. Next was the climbing wall. Lava gushed out of some places. What kind of camp was this? I wonder what kind of insurance covers that. We walked toward volleyball courts and other places. Some people seemed to stare at me. Like, who's this loser? I managed not to blush from embarrassment. Then, a big ugly, pig-faced girl came up to us.

"Who is this runt," she said. Her face was full of contempt. I couldn't help but get angry.

"Clarisse-" Percy started. I could fight my own battles.

"I didn't know you were a mirror, Clarisse," I taunted. Her ugly face scrunched into a frown. I smiled, satisfied.

"You have no idea who you're messing with, newbie," she grunted.

"I know who I'm messing with. A big ugly girl that has a bigger ego than a brain," I replied. Percy bursted out laughing. Clarisse got out some sort of spear. I could feel electricity in the air. My hairs on my arms stood up. I was weaponless. She tried to strike me, but I saw it coming. I grabbed the spear and took it away from her hand. I thrust it at her. A dark kind of energy blasted her fifty feet away. I stared. How did I do that?

Percy looked at me in shock, "That was...terrifying." I looked at him. He cleared his throat. "Well, how about I show you the dining pavilion."

The rest of the afternoon was pretty ok. The Clarisse news spread around the camp fast, and soon, everyone knew about the 'incident.'

It was now my first dinner in the pavilion. Before we started to get our food-- the horse man-- Chiron stood up. Everyone became silent. "We have a new camper here today," he announced, "Junie Drentia."

"Yeah. We've heard about her," a camper shouted out. Chiron raised an eyebrow. He disregarded it and sat back down, the talking resumed. I sat with Chiron and this pretty fat guy with an Hawaiin shirt on. He waved his hand in the air. Surprsingly, a bottle of wine appeared. Chiron looked at him.

"Sir, your restrictions," Chiron said.

"Bah!" the guy said. He waved his hand dismissively. The wine disappeared, and in it's place was a can of Diet Coke. I stared. He looked at me.

"Well, what's your problem?" he asked me.

"Ummm. Sorry-" I trailed off. I didn't know his name. He waited for me to answer. Then, he finally got I didn't know his name.

"Director D," he said finally.

"What kind of a name is that?" I said under my breath. He somehow heard me.

"Well, John-"

"Junie," Chiron corrected.

"Well, I would rather have a pseudonym instead of my real name. I am a god, of course," he stated. A god? That's mythology. I scanned through D names.

"Are you Demeter?" I asked. I wasn't very good at history. The guy did a spit take on Diet Coke. His eyes seemed to get brighter.

"Demeter?" he bellowed. "She's a goddess! Use your eyes, Jenny! I am a man!" I let the wrong name thing pass.

"Sorry," I mumbled. I scanned through my stupid brain encyclopedia again. Oh. Oops. "You're Dionysus."

"Well, how do you mortals say it these days? Well, duh!" Dionysus replied. My stomach grumbled. I thought of smoked brisket. Suddenly, it appeared on my plate. My reflexes almost karate chopped the plate.

"Don't be alarmed, Junie. It's magical. You can now order your drink," Chiron explained. I thought about a Sprite. It appeared. Suddenly, everyone got up and went in a line around the camp fire. I stood up awkwardly and headed over there. I copied what every other camper did. They scooped off the best piece of meat or the best cluster of grapes. I scraped some food in. I then prayed to my parent, Please claim me. I know it's a lot to ask, but please. I sat back down and ate a satisfying meal.