Adoration (Part 2)

The next day, once Tyler gets home from work, he changes into something a little more appropriate for the occasion. He settles for a black turtleneck with a black pair of cargo pants, and spends the rest of his time watching a show he recorded while he waits.

Debby and Josh pick him up little before nine, it's expected.

It isn't raining like last time, so Tyler feels like he can breathe. He has hope that this will be better than Christmas. Maybe he won't isolate himself as much. Maybe he'll actually try to have a conversation with more than just Debby and Josh.

He decides he'll try this time. It's for the better.

***

Once they arrive, the door is already unlocked, so they walk in with music playing softly in the kitchen and a countdown happening on the television in the livingroom. There's snacks on the coffee table, champagne and other different kinds of wines on the counter in the other room.

Tyler is intrigued.

"You're here!" Laura shouts when seeing them. She walks over with a glass of wine in hand, carefully giving each of them a hug. "It's just us tonight. Ashley and Abigail have other plans."

Josh nods. "Sounds good to me,"

Tyler bites his lip, staring at the champagne.

Laura seems to notice, too. She chuckles a bit and touches his arm momentarily. "Drink it, that's what it's there for."

Tyler smiles.

"Drink what?" Josh asks.

"There's some wine in the kitchen," Laura replies.

Josh hums. He doesn't drink at all. Of course he can, but it just isn't who he is, and he also expresses his concerns about it whenever it's brought up. Tyler though, Tyler's fine with having a good time. He obviously won't go overboard considering it's in front of Josh's family, so he'll settle for a glass or two.

"I'll be right back." Tyler mumbles, walking into the kitchen. There's glasses beside each bottle, which is good, because he doesn't feel like looking for any.

He watches Laura lead Josh, Debby, and Jim into the livingroom. Their Christmas tree is already down but now the lights are strung up around the room instead. It's nice, and Tyler drinks to it once he pours enough into his cup.

He hasn't had champagne in a while. It's odd, yet also refreshing. It's like he needed it, in some strange way. He has been on edge a lot recently, and he's hoping that something as simple as drinking is going to help with that. He doesn't know why, he doesn't know how, he's only desperate.

"Pour me some?" He then hears.

Tyler turns around to see Jordan. His hair is trimmed at the sides now, and his stubble isn't stubble any longer, it's scruffy.

Tyler tilts his head. "Aren't you not supposed to have any. . . You're nineteen."

Jordan shrugs. "Mom and Dad don't care as long as it's under their supervision." He says it, and Tyler believes him. "Besides, they put vodka in my eggnog on Christmas. I think champagne is fine."