“We know where the diamonds are,” I interrupted, since she was not going to make any of us feel better with her words. “We can get them back.”

“Who?” Anne asked, quietly. She came to a stop in the middle of the hallway. “Who would take on such a grave mission?”

“Musketeers.”

Silence met my suggestion. “There are no musketeers,” Benita pointed out.

“But we happen to know of three men who used to be musketeers, and they already hate the Cardinal,” I responded. I hesitated. There was a specific person I had in mind, but would he help me? “Surely, if anyone is capable of carrying out this mission, it is them.”

Anne nodded after a moment. “You're right, Constance,” she said. She took a deep breath and straightened her shoulders. Once again, she looked like the queen I knew. “Go.”

I turned to hurry away. “Constance,” Anne said, stopping me. I turned to look at her. “Be careful. You will be followed.”

“The cardinal must know that the queen will not idly sit by and let herself be ruined,” Dolores added seriously. “And he will not like anyone who chooses to help her.”

“I know,” I said in response to them both. “But its the only way. The only chance we have now.” I hesitated. “Benits, if it pleases her majesty, will you go find Monsieur de Treville? He will know where I can find the musketeers.”

“Hurry,” Anne told Benita. “Constance, you are losing daylight.”

“Perhaps I will not be so easy to follow at night,” I responded. It was a hope.

~*~

In my room, I quickly tied on my cloak. I tried to think of what I might need, but found my mind distracted by all that had happened and the challenge before me. After all I had said to D'Artagnan, would he help me? How would I be able to convince him? Would his friends throw in their lot with us?

Pulling on my gloves, I went to the door and met Benita coming in. She was out of breath as though she had been running, something I had never seen her do. “Monsieur de Treville is preparing to leave,” she informed me. “You have to hurry if you are going to catch him.”

“Thank you, Benita,” I said, pulling my hood up.

“The queen sent this,” she said, holding a small purse out. “This may help convince them and help on their journey.”

Money. Yes, that was what I should have thought of. I pocketed the purse. “Good bye, Benita,” I said, starting down the hallway.

“Good luck,” she called after me softly.

Luck was something I would be in sore need of. I was careful to keep to the less used hallways and staircases as I hurried to find M. de Treville. Members of court were arriving for evening festivities. My mind occupied with everything that had been revealed and trying to find the former head of the musketeers, I managed to walk into someone.

“Pardon,” I said automatic, moving to untangle myself. I found myself blushing in embarrassment when I looked up.

“Mademoiselle Bonacieux,” Vicomte de Rignee said, his tone stiff.

“Going somewhere, Constance?” Nicolette asked.

I glanced between them. “Of course,” I responded sweetly. “The duties of a loyal lady in waiting are many, my dear Nicolette. Enjoy your evening.”

It was then I caught sight of M. de Treville walking towards one of the side entrances. I hurried to catch up to him. If the Cardinal didn't have any one watching me now, he would soon if Nicolette acted as I suspected she would. I was running out of time.

“Monsieur!” I called out as soon as I was out the door. M. de Treville was already halfway to the gate. He turned at the sound of my voice. “Please, Monsiuer. You must help me.”

“Mademoiselle Bonacieuix,” he said in surprise. His forehead creased into a frown. “What is wrong?”

I took a moment to catch my breath. “You haven't heard?” I countered. With all his ties to the court, I knew it could not be possible. “The cardinal is stirring up trouble. I need to find Athos, Porthos, and Aramis immediately. The reputation of the queen is at stake!”

“There have been whispers involving the queen,” Treville admitted slowly. He studied me for a moment. “What do my men have to do with this?”

“They are the only ones I know I can trust to save the queen from the fate Cardinal Richelieu would cause. Please, Monsieur. I have five days to see this through.”

He appeared to consider this carefully and I forced myself to keep from bouncing in impatience. “Very well, Mademoiselle,” he said. He named an address and I repeated it back quickly. “You must hurry before the Cardinal finds out what you are attempting to do.”

“There is a young woman, a lady in waiting to the queen,” I told him, pulling my cloak closer around me. “Her name is Nicolette Thenardier. I think she is working for the Cardinal. Please. Would you keep her from causing any more harm while I am gone?”

M. de Treville hesitated. “I will do what I can,” he promised. I breathed a little easier. He was a man to keep his word. Of that I could be sure. “I have some friendship with His Majesty. Perhaps I can do something on that front as well.”

Thankfully, I grabbed his hand. “Thank you,” I said fervently. “The queen will repay you.”

“Knowing France is safe will be all the repayment I need. You, Mademoiselle, have some place to be.”

Nodding, I let go of his hand and hurried towards the gate. I kept my head down as I went past the guards. I hoped that, with everyone coming and going, they would not remember me.

Hope. I had to hold onto it as I set off into Paris. It was all I had.