~*~

We were all gathered for tea. Through the doorway, I could see the king walking with D'Artagnan. I wondered what it was they were talking about. I forced myself to pay attention to Anne as she spoke about a conversation she had had with the Spanish ambassador's wife.

There was a sudden cough and when I looked up, I saw the king coming towards us. "Your Majesty!" I exclaimed, nodding to the doorway.

Swiftly, Anne was on her feet, with us ladies in waiting doing the same. There was a moment of awkward silence and then the king asked, "How are you?"

"Very well," Anne responded. I could hear the joy in her voice, with that slight note of puzzlement. The king had never gone out of his way like this before.

King Louis looked uncertain for a moment. "I'm wearing blue," he informed her, holding his arms out to show her.

"And you look very handsome in it," Anne told him fondly.

The king grinned with delight. "Yes, well, thank you," he said. "You're looking very lovely. In fact, I was just remarking to D'Artagnan how...uh...how beautiful you are."

I had never heard him say anything so sweet and sincere to Anne before! And D'Artagnan was the cause of this? I couldn't help smiling as Anne responded, "Thank you, My Lord."

I dared a look up and saw D'Artagnan, waiting in the gardens still. He held himself with dignity as he met my gaze. I turned my gaze down quickly. What had I done? The king stayed to address a few more comments with Anne and then had to leave for a last conference with Buckingham. We all sat down. Anne was practically beaming with delight. "You see, Your Majesty?" I said. "The king does care."

"So it would seem," Anne answered. "I can't help but think your Gascon would be a good influence on the king."

I don't know if I would have protested that term or not. Nicolette did so for me. "Her Gascon?" she repeated. "I highly doubt he has anything to do with her after her snub today."

It pained my heart to know that she was right. “I think that young D'Artagnan is a little bit more stubborn than that,” Anne said. “But time will tell.”

~*~

I was still going over what had happened in the gardens when I ran into Milady. “Ah, my dear Constance!” she exclaimed with a smile. She was dressed for traveling and looked pleased with herself. More so than normal, I noticed. “I'm glad I found you. You've heard the news?”

"News?" I repeated, irritated at not knowing what she was talking about. "What news?"

"Why, that the Cardinal has finished giving Lord Buckingham the details of the treaty," Milady informed me. "Buckingham will now take the treaty to King James. I leave with him within the hour."

“I hope you found your stay in Paris enjoyable,” I said, somewhat untruthfully I will admit.

She smiled. “Oh, immensely,” she told me. “Most entertaining.”

“Have a good trip back to England,” I said, moving to continue on.

Milady laughed. “Is that all?” she asked. “After all your wondering and your fellow lady in waiting trying to spy on me, you're content to just say goodbye?”

I froze and took a deep breath. No wonder Benita hadn't been able to learn anything: Milady had known she was being followed! “I don't imagine you're willing to tell me everything,” I said as I faced her. “Whatever you've been up to, and whoever you've been working for, you're not going to win.”

I was being perfectly serious and she laughs at me. “Very dramatic,” she complimented. “I wonder if you are ruthless enough to achieve your potential?”

“Ruthless? Potential?” I repeated in confusion. What was she talking about?

“Yes, ruthless,” she said emphatically. “It's the only way to manipulate men into doing what you want. Even the smartest man has no chance against a well prepared woman.”

“I don't use people,” I told her sharply.

“A pity,” Milady said, shrugging. “I wish you the best. I'm sure you will continue to enjoy your life here the palace...until there is trouble, of course.”

"What do you mean by that?" I demanded instantly. "If you have something you want to tell me, come out and say it!"

Slipping gloves on her hands, Milady smiled. "You are imagining things, my dear Mademoiselle Bonacieux," she said. “I bid you adieu.”

I opened my mouth to protest. She certainly had been up to something and if she left now, I would never learn what it was! Before I could speak, though, Lord Buckingham was coming down the corridor. “Ah, Milady de Winter,” he said. “Are you ready?”

“Of course,” Milady said.

Holding his arm out to her, Buckingham looked me over in a way that made me raise my chin. “And who is this charming young lady?” he asked. “Have we met?” “Behave yourself, my Lord,” Milady told him firmly. “This is one of the queen's ladies in waiting.”

“A pleasure,” Buckingham said, bowing towards me. He walked away with Milady on his arm.

I watched them until they turned the corner and shook my head. I had to tell the queen.