Chapter 1

Detective Clarissa Jones P.O.V

"What's her story." I asked Officer Deely as I grabbed the file out of his hand.

He'd brought in a beautiful young girl who was now sitting in my interrogation room.

"Her name is Angel Johnson, but her friends call her 'Blaze'. Her brother and foster father burned to death in the fire on Fifth Street." He sighed.

"And she was I front of the house when you guys arrived?" I asked.

"Yes, but she was crying. I really don't think she did this."

"Ok, thank you." I replied before walking into the room.

Once I was in there I examined the young girl.

She had bright red hair and green eyes. She was wearing a grey hoodie underneath a black leather jacket, with black skinny jeans and black knee-high leather boots.

The girl had a thing for black leather.

I sat down in front of her.

"Your name is Angel Johnson, correct?" I asked while examining her file.

She just nodded her head.

"It says here you've set a car, a boat, and an old abandoned wearhouse on fire. So did you decide burning down a house would be fun?"

"I didn't kill them!" she snapped. "Yes, I hated my foster father, but my biological brother was in there. He was only seven. I'm not that horrible of a person."

"Ok, so do you know anyone who'd want your father dead?"

"He's NOT my father."

"Ok, your foster father." I added.

"I don't know. Frank pissed a lot of people off."

"So, no one. A friend, a neighbor, anyone?"

"No! All I know is that he was an abusive alcoholic." She mumbled.

"Abusive?" I asked, looking up from the file.

She stood up and unzipped her jacket revealing a black sports bra, revealing a huge bruise and a diagonal scar that reached from her left boob to her pants line.

I just closed my eyes. This poor child. I wouldn't blame her if she had burned him to death.

She then began to explain each one.

She pointed to a bruise next to her belly button. "This one was from two days ago, because I took to long to bring him a beer."

Then she pointed to the scar. "And this was from a box cutter. He did that just because he felt like it."

"Why didn't you tell anyone about this?" I asked, trying not to cry.

"Because I knew they'd seperate Jamie and I, so I just kept quite."

"Did he hit Jamie?"

"No, when I was around, Frank left Jamie alone. So I made sure Jamie was never alone with him." She said, a single tear sliding down her face.

"So, what made tonight any different?"

"Fridays are Frank's poker nights. So, when Frank left, I called a girl from my school who absolutely loved Jamie and asked if she'd watch him while I went to a party with my friends. Frank wasn't supposed to be there." She replied.

"Why were you there when the cops showed up?"

"A girl from across the street called me and told me." she whispered.

"Ok, two more questions, I promise." I said grabbing her hand, trying to comfort her. "What happened to your biological parents?"

"They were run off the road when I was twelve."

"And who was the girl who watched Jamie tonight?"

"Alex Higgins." She said.

"Ok, we're done. I'll be right back." I said, closing the file and exiting the room.

I headed to the examination room. (The room behind the interrogation room's glass window.)

There, my partner, Detective Danny Alfonzo, was waiting.

"What do you think?" Alfonzo asked me as soon as I entered the room.

"I don't think she did it." I said with a sigh. "But, I'm not putting her in another foster home."

"Well, what do you want to do with her? I mean she doesn't have a house." He asked.

"She can stay with me."

"Ok, then it's settled. She didn't do it, and she's staying at your house, until we can find someone to adopt her." Alfonzo said. "I'll go tell the Captain."