FOOW-Pt-16

47 ******

A six-hour bus ride was what they had too look forward too, dauntingly long day ahead of them. A play in a Spring Festival wasn't a big deal for a school, unless you were the school who once boasted to be the stomping grounds of Maddie LeBeau.

At 3.a.m., on Friday morning, most of the school, and well-wishers from the town, were standing outside to send off the actors and the rest of the drama club. A blurry-eyed Joss kissed her father's cheek, "Sorry I can't go," he said to her with some regret. Joss shrugged, she wasn't up on the stage, just sitting in the wings, watching with abated breath, praying that everyone pulled off their lines.

"Ah, it's okay. I'm not acting or nothing. This is their day, Becca's day. Okay, well, Saturday will be her day, today we travel. I wish I hadn't wrecked the SUV," sighed Joss, she wouldn't have been able to drive anyway, it was mandatory that they ride on the bus.

"About that, should I just take out the Honda?" he asked, changing the subject of Becca.

"Yeah, the snow is almost all gone. Oh, you know what? I forgot my laptop, damn it!" groaned Joss. Her father grimaced, "They are announcing the winner of the contest to work on that movie, the one in France? I know I didn't win, but I wanted to see who did."

Mack nodded, seeing the look on her face, knowing that she'd wanted that assistant job, but knew that she was better off spending a quiet summer in

Maine. "You can find out Monday, take care of yourself, I love you."

"Me too, Dad," smiled Joss, climbing into the bus.

"Mom, I'll be fine, it's just Portland, it's not like I'm going to Hawaii or anything, god, breath!" laughed Becca.

"I'll take care of her," smiled Gage, who was at her side every moment as of late.

Becca grimaced, and Chloe saw the look, reaching out an rubbing her thumb on Becca's cheek. "You'll be great, I'll try and go, but you know how things are, last minute days off..."

"Mom, you saw the first one, it's just on a bigger stage, you'll be right here with me," smiled Becca, patting her heart and Chloe smiled.

"On the bus, everyone," said Mrs. Lee.

"That's our cue," smiled Gage, getting a quick hug from his own mother as the cheers erupted from the crowd as they all began to get into the bus.

From the back of the bus, Joss shook her head, "You'd think that we were the Celtics going off to play in the Superbowl."

"Um, Joss?" said Danny.

Joss turned, "Yeah?"

"Patriots are in the Superbowl, Celtic are basketball players? You know, March madness?" he asked.

"Whatever!" growled Joss, making Danny laugh as they all settled into their seats. Joss looked up towards the front of the bus, seeing Becca sitting with Gage. Becca turned, catching Joss's eye, and Joss gave her a small smile. A sad look crossed Becca's face and Joss had to look away, slipping her headphones over her ears and blocking out the world.

48 *****

The sun was coming up as they drove, and Gage had finally fallen asleep, so Becca crept from the front of the bus to the back seat, where Joss was dozing. She was wedged into the corner, the seat mostly empty, save for her still playing MP3 player.

Becca looked around, the seat across from Joss was empty, but she sat in the one that Joss was in. Her palms sweaty, her heart pounding as she leaned over, and let her lips graze Joss's cheek.