FOOW-Pt-4

12 *****

"What did you mean we'll have to see?" Becca asked. Slipping into the seat across from Joss as Joss looked up, eyebrows cocked and she pulled the ear buds from her ears. A half eaten Snickers at her right hand.

"Well, don't you guys have plays? I meant that we'd see when I see you acting. They don't have a drama class," grumbled Joss.

"We have an after school drama program, smart-ass. What makes you an expert?" Becca asked, "Because you lived in California?"

"Because I spent eight months at Angel Beach Film and Drama Academy so I guess I'm not an expert but I have an idea."

Becca paled and stuttered.

"Really? No way! Acting?"

"No, in the Film department, directing, set building, photography, script writing." Joss said. In one sentence, she'd revealed more about herself to anyone than she had since she'd arrived here.

"You write scripts?" Becca asked, eyes lighting up instantly, Joss nodded. Becca grabbed her bag from the chair next to her, threw the Ipod into the bag, Joss letting out a muted 'Hey' but it fell on deaf ears. Becca seized Joss's hand, tugged her from the chair. "You have to meet Marcus he wrote this play and the school board won't let us do it."

"This doesn't have anything...." Joss began and her father's words of not rocking the boat came to her and she tried to slow Becca, but Becca was having none of it.

"Oh yes it does have something to do with you. Come on, live a little!" Becca said and Joss looked around, the school seemed to be watching their every move and finally they got to the destination at hand. Marcus.

"Marcus this is Joss Wade and she went to film school. She can write screenplays. She is going to help convince the school board that your play needs to be done."

"Whoa, hey hold up now... I didn't say that," began Joss, head shaking and hands waving. Marcus stuck his hand out, a large hand to boot; the blonde young man was nerdish with Harry Potter glasses and blue eyes.

"My savior," he said simply and Joss was starting to think that the cold in this town made everyone deaf.

13 *****

"DAD! I didn't say anything at all. I swear Becca just assumed..." Joss was saying as she tossed the salad and her father's eyes were serious.

"Young lady you've never had a problem speaking your mind before."

"I know! She just railroaded me! Slam, WHAM. Boom! Joss on her ass staring up at the stars, Dad, I have no idea how it happened."

Mackenzie laughed at her; she rolled her eyes at him, dark green orbs filled with sarcasm.

"Is it any good?" he asked and she gave him an odd look as if asking him what had gotten into HIM!

"Ummmm.... I didn't read it," admitted Joss, pointed to her bag, "It's in there. Dad I'm not going up in front of no school board." Joss muttered and stuffed a large forkful of the salad into her mouth and he smirked.

"I think you should read it," he said to her and she stopped chewing her salad, a strand of hair falling from its usual resting place behind her ear. She didn't move. Staring hard at her father and not moving a muscle. "I think getting involved with something is good."

"Good?" Joss said through the mouthful of food and he nodded. Looking around the room, then under the table as she chewed, finally swallowing her food. Joss got up, Mack wondered what she was doing.