Serious talks before a disaster

Maccready's POV 

I woke up and didn't see Y/N besides me.

I sprung up in bed and shouted her name.

"R-R.J!" A cry was heard from outside.

Y/N's POV 

I've been wrestling these swarm of ghouls for the past 5 minutes and have already accepted my fate. I have to give it to my self as I've been putting up a fight for this long.

Maccready's POV 

I ran out of the shack and saw Y/N on the floor getting swarmed by ghouls.

My eyes widened, her screams for help were drowned out by my thoughts of her.

Lucy. 

I got out a pistol and shot most of the ghouls that were surrounding Y/N only leaving 1 left. She sat up and looked at the leg crippled ghoul lying on the floor before she sunk her blade into its soft skull. She shuddered and looked at me.  

Her heavy breathing was the only thing I heard.  

"W-We should get moving, R.J" 

"Right.." 

...

"Can we talk about earlier, Y/N? Please?" I asked 

Y/N's POV 

Did Maccready think I was mad at him? 

"Say whatever you want, R.J," I said 

"I-I'm sorry I froze up earlier, it's just I got really scared, I thought you were going to be like..." He stopped speaking to take a breath.

"I had a wife, Y/N, her name was Lucy" He stopped walking so I did too

"Had?" I asked facing towards him

"Yes, We were traveling along with my son Duncan. We needed to rest so I decided that a subway would be safe, was I wrong...  Before I knew it ghouls were ripping her to shreds, I barely got out of there with Duncan in my arms..." Maccready explained 

"I'm sorry, Maccready." 

"Y/N, if we do die today I want you to have this," he said then getting out a wooden toy soldier and handing it to me. I looked up at him with obvious confusion.

"I told Lucy that I was a soldier instead of a stupid mercenary so she made me this for me." 

I was speechless with all this information being thrown at me. I feel bad for not knowing what to say except a sorry and a thank you.

"Thank you, R.J, but why give this to me instead of you keeping it?"

"Just keep it, please," Maccready said avoiding the question I asked.

Maccready looked worried for most of the walk towards MassPike Interchange, was it his resting face? Was he actually worried about going into a huge battle... or something else he wasn't telling me? I decided I didn't want to let my mind wander on it too much so I left it alone.

It was really quiet for most of the walk but not so quiet with the usual molerats and disgusting bloatflies but you get what I mean. 

"What will happen after this whole thing goes down?" He asked breaking the silence.

"Uhh, whatever the future holds...?" I said, my voice raising at the end,

"No Y/N... I mean with us."