Chapter 3: I Got Kicked Out My House and Sent to Another State

Mom was still weeping so I decided I needed to bring matters into my own hands. Like usual.

"Hey, Auntie, you can come in."

"Really?"

What was up with this woman? First she decides she should stay now  she's mind boggled I'm letting her in. I guess she must be as surprised as me letting her in just like that. But what was I supposed to do?

"Yeah, you can wait in the living room."

 Aunt Miranda nodded. She plopped her her slightly chubby body right in the center of the couch. She looked around in bewilderment. 

"You can watch TV or read some of the magazines there."

But Aunt Miranda didn't listen to me and continued to her head looking at the ceiling, the floor, the corners, everything. "Okay..."

I held mom's shoulders and steered her in her bedroom. I managed to get her to sit on her bed, but not lie down.

"He's gone now. I never said good bye," she whispered to no one in particular. She's been mumbling that a LOT.

"Mom, it's going to be okay", I cooed.

Her eyes were faraway. She couldn't hear. Ugh. Not again. She closed her eyes.

I gently pushed her down on the bed. I pulled up her covers. She lightly snored. Within minutes, she was snoring loudly.

I tiptoed out the room. I took a few blankets and pillows out the closet from the hall.

"Auntie, which do like?"

"Whichever one, sweetie."

She still was gazing around the living room like she expected a gigantic booger monster or a large spider eating baby little lions (idk). She was oddly calm.

I nodded. "Yes, ma'am."

I stopped by her room. I lazily dropped whatever was on the bottom.I put everything else back in the closet.

I came back to the living room. "Auntie, your room's, er, ready. Would you like some... pajamas?"

"That would be satisfying, sweetie."

After hearing her call me "sweetie," I'm wondering whether she even knows my name or if I was a guy. Oh wait. Nvm. I remember now. Oops. Evangeline.

 As she went in her room, I tried to enter mom's room quietly.  Fail. The floor was all rickety rackety.  But I got my main mission accomplished: Do NOT wake mom up.

I took out an unopened packet of toothbrush and some bad tasting toothpaste (we had lots of those) that you get from the dentist from the drawer in mom's bathroom. I also stole from her closet (seriously!? how does my mom sleep like that with all that noise?) some of the biggest pajamas I could find. I'm not calling my aunt fat. It's just that my mom was really small compared to Aunt Miranda even though my mom was older.

I gave the things to Aunt Miranda.

"Thanks, sweetie", she painfully smiled. "How's Ramona?"

"She's already asleep."

"Good."

Soon, I was able to tuck myself into bed.

At some part I woke up and I fixed my sock which was falling off. Then I fell asleep again. The next time I woke up it was around brunch time. I continued to wonder if it was all a dream. I still didn't want to check out the guest room, in fear of what I would've seen; Would she be there or not?

I found Aunt Miranda at the dining room that morning, sitting very comfortably eating toast with honey. On her nose were reading glasses which I was doubting were right for her since she was still squinting at the newspaper in her hands. I guess it did happen. Unless this is a dream, too? 

"I guess you've made yourself home."

She looked up, slightly startled. "Well, good morning, sweetie."

"Good morning," I managed to spit out.

"Well, your mother must be sad."

I smiled, coldly. "That's an understatement. She's devastated. I'm worried.."

"I understand."

I sighed. "...I heard he was a pretty awesome Pops."

Aunt Miranda laughed. This laugh was a kind rarely heard of from her. "That's an understatement." She had pain hidden behind that smile. She's always had it, bug it very noticeable now.

I made myself a nutella sandwich with sliced bananas.

"How long are you staying here, if you don't mind me asking."

She put the newspaper down. To my surprise, she had been reading the comic section. "Until you come back here from West Virginia which is when your mom gets better."

I stopped chewing my sandwich. It felt like a plop of cement had dried in my stomach instead of heavenly chocolate goodness. "What?" I said, straining to be calm. "Did I hear correctly?"

"I believe you did," she said, flipping to another page of comic. "You're mother wouldn't be able to take care of you."

"She doesn't! I cook, clean, do everything for her! I'm older this time! I'm more independent than I was last time!"

"What if it happens again?"

"Tch." I looked away, knowing she had won. NO. This... this was unacceptable. 

Aunt Miranda clicked her tongue twice. "You're going to a friend of our's: Aviva. Don't worry; she's a very kind friend, sweetie. And she had children. I'm pretty sure she has one your age."

"Wait, did you tell Mom?"

"Yeah, did she not tell you, sweetie?"

"Not a thing."

"Ah, we planned on this for next summer but I think now would be good. Are you sure she didn't give details or anything?"

"Nothing to clue me in."

Aunt Miranda smiled and rolled her eyes. "Well, she is a scatterbrain!"

I gulped. "When do I start packing?"

She shrugged. "Now should just be about good."

"How long am I staying?"

"A month or two?" she thought. "The whole summer break at most. It depends how long it takes your Mom to stop coping around. I'll just call when she's done."

"Ah, I see."

I sulked. Aunt Miranda seems to be a responsible person to care for Mom. If I ask Mom if I should go...

"Mom..?"

She didn't stir.

I sat on her bed. "Mom."

"Hnng?" She opened an eye. Then the other. She kept blinking. "What?"

"Am I going to your friend's house? Aviva?"

"We were uh, going together," she struggled to remember. "Next year."

"Auntie suggested now, this year. She said she'll be with you."

Mom bit her lip. "When are you leaving?"

She isn't going to tell Aunt Miranda off!?

"ASAP."

Mom nodded. "I think I understand. If Miri thinks it's for the best, okay."

I really am going.

"Okay."
I noticed that she was finally coming to realization. Her eyes started focusing and she must be thinking that it wasn't just a nightmare, it was reality. Sadness slowly etched across her face. "I'm sorry. You should go."
"Okay."
"You understand. Please, just do yourself a favor."
I nodded. I left the room before she noticed my tears after being reminded of the past.