f o u r t y t w o

Start from the beginning

"You doing okay?" He asks me once we're out of earshot of the others. 

"Not really." I admit. "Last night, I thought they were going to kill you, and I just got you back, I wasn't about to lose you. Then the men on top of me, it still feels like they're there. It's like I have this weight on my chest that won't leave."

"Cherokee, what happened last night," He says stopping in front of me. "I'm never going to let that happen again. As long as I'm alive you have nothing to worry about." 

"There's always something to worry about." I mutter.

"You know what I mean little Rose." he says pulling me into a hug. "I love you."

"I love you too daddy." 

 We meet back up with the others after clearing our section and Rick drops his bag back on the ground. He pulls out a shovel and starts to bury it. Only taking out a gun to put in his waist band. I put the knife dad gave me into my shoe, it's small enough to fit and the most it does is poke at my heel. I'll live though.

"Just in case," He says while covering it back up with dirt. 

One by one, we hop the fence. Deciding that the safer way to enter is where they won't see us coming. Dad led us carefully through terminus. He led us to a building where a woman in a monotone voice spoke into a radio of sorts. 

When he decided that we hadn't been noticed he led us into the room and we stopped in a line. 

"Hello." Rick said and the woman took the headphones off, looking at us in shock. "Hello."

"Well, I bet Albert I on perimeter watch." A tall lanky man says in annoyance after looking at us. "You here to rob us?" 

"No, we wanted to see you before you saw us." Rick says lowering his gun and walking towards the man.

"Makes sense. Usually we do this where the tracks meet." He says clearing his throat. "Welcome to terminus, I'm Gareth. Look's like you've been on the road for a long bit." 

"We have." Rick tells him. "Rick, that's Carl, Cherokee, Daryl, Michonne." 

"You're nervous! I get it we were all the same way." Gareth exclaims after he gives an awkward wave and our tense statures don't let up one bit. "We came here for sanctuary, is that what you're here for?"

"Yes." Rick says simply.

"Good. You found it." He says before calling to a man in the back. "This isn't as pretty as the front, we got nothing to hide but the welcome wagon is a whole lot nicer. Alex will take you, ask you a few questions. Uh, but first we need to see everyones weapons. If you could just lay them down in front of you."

 Rick looks at us slowly and thinks for a moment. My grip on my crossbow is like steel. 

"Alright." He says being the first one to lay down his weapons. 

"I'm sure you understand." Gareth says. 

"Yes I do." Rick nods. 

I'm the last one that still has their weapon. My grip hasn't loosened and I start to shake. My dad looks over at me, concern filling his blue eyes. 

"Cherokee, it's okay." He says removing the strap from my hands and placing my weapon onto the floor in front of me.

"You're hesitant, that's okay." Gareth says noticing my reluctance. "You don't know us." 

He then makes a T with his arms, gesturing that he's going to pat us down. My shaking becomes worse. Alex starts with my dad. 

"Hate to see the other guy." He says looking at my dad's black eye.