f o u r

~~~

We're headed for Fort Benning now. It's a long way, and I don't think it's worth it. Maybe we could find something else. But who am I kidding, who's gonna listen to a kid, especially Daryl Dixon's. No matter what he does for this group, no one appreciates him.

We had to trade Dad's truck for Merle's motorcycle. We ended up siphoning fuel from the truck into the RV. I ride with Carl now, in Carol's Cherokee. It's crammed but the best we can do.

I watch as my dad passes the RV and leads us along the stretch of road.

"I was just thinking about our trip to the Grande Canyon with Carl." Lori tells Rick breaking the silence. Rick laughs and Carl speaks up.

"I don't remember that," Carl says looking at his parents.

"No you wouldn't," She tells him. "You where just a baby. We never made it past Fort Worth."

"No you got sick." Rick tells his son. "I never knew a baby could throw up so much."

"Ick." Carl says making a face.

"Yeah Ick." Lori laughs. "But the doctor in Texas said you'd live and we turned around and drove home."

"That sucks." Carl replies.

"No," Lori says. "It was a good trip."

"The best." Says Rick agreeing with his wife.

"Can we go see it? The grande canyon? I'd like too." Carl asks his parents.

"I would too." Sophia agrees. I keep my mouth shut. "Can we go?"

"We'd never go without you or your mom," Rick says turing around to look at her a bit. "That's a promise. You too Cheri."

"Oh uh, thanks." I reply looking out the window from my spot in the very back. I volunteered to sit back here, it's nice and I only share the space with a couple of bags.

Soon the line ends up stopping and my dad is now turning around on his motor cycle to talk to Dale. From what I can tell there's a bunch of cars all clumped up on the highway for a long while.

Rick slowly navigated through the endless cars behind Dale and my dad. The RV stops and so does Rick.

"I said it, didn't I? A thousand times." Dale complains. "Dead in the water."

"Problem Dale?" Shane asks.

"Just a small matter of being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no hope of-" he pauses and looks at my dad who is looking through cars. "Okay that was dumb."

"If you can't find a radiator hose here," Shane states looking around.

"There's a whole bunch of stuff we can find." Dad says looking through one of the trunks of a car.

"I can siphon more fuel from these cars for a start." T-dog says walking around the cars a bit.

"Maybe some water?" Carol asks.

"Or food," Dale suggests.

"This is a graveyard." Lori argues. "I don't know how I feel about this."

"And we'll be apart of it if we look for supplies here." I mutter so only my dad can here. He chuckles and continues to dig in the trunk.

"All right, all right." T-dog says walking off. "Here we go."

"Come on y'all," Shane says. "Just look around. Gather what ya can."

I walk back to Carols Cherokee and grab my crossbow. Who knows I might need it.