Chapter 4 - Celaena

Celaena was still reeling from her close call with Aedion, that she didn't notice, or hear, Chaol, when he entered her chambers, and came to a stop in the doorway of her bedroom. She was curled up in her bed, absently stroking Fleetfoot, as she stared blankly at a wall, replaying the moment Aedion had entered the great hall over and over again in her head. Wondering how them being in the same place, will play out. Who he would turn out to be.

"Celaena?" She didn't know how many times he had called her name, before she heard, and noticed him by the door.

"What do you want? I suppose you've come to check on me." She mused, "What am I talking about? Of course, you have, since he has finally arrived, and you know what you know. Although, my guess is that many people might have noticed our resemblance by the time one of us leaves town, and guess that perhaps we are related and that I am perhaps that lost Heir of Terrasen... Nah no one will think I'm the lost Heir, since I'm an assassin and heirs can't be assassins... hmm maybe they'll think I'm a bastard. That would be fun."

"Celaena this is serious! Dorian definitely noticed that Aedion looked awfully like someone he knew. Luckily, I don't think he figured out it was you, and connected the dots to when he first met you, when you were still her. But he will soon if he keeps seeing both you and Aedion. And who knows if the King has noticed."

"You don't think I know that? You don't think I've wondered what would happen if Aedion saw me or even scented me? If Dorian or the King saw our resemblance? Why do you think I was staring into nothing when you first came in? I was wondering what he would do if he saw me, if he would thank the gods that I was alive, but then hate me because of all the terrible things I've done, or if he would just hand me over to the king, no questions asked, ever the faithful servant."

"Good! At least you have some common sense then. What are you planning to do to avoid him?"

"I don't know. Just whatever it takes keep out of his way, and for him to not notice me."

There was a brief pause, but then Chaol practically yelled "He's got a ring!" and Celaena could only stare at him.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have shouted that out. But Aedion has one of the black rings I told you about. I thought you should know, since you... you're... since we're sharing information now."

"I had wondered why the King allowed him to still live, much less command a legion." Was Celaena's only reply, after seeing, or rather hearing, his display in the great hall just hours before. "But it changes nothing. I never planned to see, or talk to him anyway."

With that, Chaol left her chambers, leaving Celaena to ponder Aedion's allegiance, actions and what the hell she was going to do to avoid him.

But fate it seemed, had other thoughts. Because the very next morning, as Celaena was on her way out for her run, she rounded a corner and went straight into a very tall and well muscled person. And as she stepped back, about to mutter a half assed apology, she heard an intake of breath come from the person she had ran into, and who was standing very, very still now. Almost afraid to, Celaena looked up, even though she had a pretty good idea of who it was. And she was right. Of course, of course she had run into one of the two people she did not want to see in the castle. Or scent for that matter. And she honestly couldn't tell who would have been worst. The king... or her cousin. Deciding she wanted to start her run early, Celaena bolted around them, heading straight to the game park, and out of sight, before he had time to react.