Chapter 9: Celebration

While Boyd, Erica, and Isaac ran off, Lexie stuck around with Derek and Scott. She may have been a beta but she hated feeling like one. Derek led them to the empty train car, Lexie sticking close to Scott's side. His last howl had been trying to get someone to save him from Allison's mother. Neither he or Derek went into detail about what had happened, but whatever it was she felt like the odd one out. Just like she did with this conversation. "I'm saying we need a new plan, because next time, one of us is gonna be too hurt to heal."

"Ugh, I get it," Scott said as they went inside the rundown train car. "We can't save Jackson."

"We can't seem to kill him either," said Derek.

Lexie shook her head as she wrapped her jacket tighter around her. "Mom never told me stories about anything like this. He just gets stronger with each new moon. If we don't stop him soon, no one will be able to."

"Maybe we should just let the Argents handle it," Scott suggested.

"I'm the one who turned him. It's my fault," said Derek.

"You're not the one who turned him into someone's personal instrument of death."

"This happened because of something in his past, right?" asked Scott.

Derek shook his head. "That's a legend in a book. It's not that simple."

Lexie raised a brow. "Okay man with all the answers, then what is it? What aren't you telling us now?"

"Why do you think I'm always keeping something from you?" Derek asked her.

Her voice rose as she said, "You always are!"

"Well, maybe I do it to protect you," he said. "Both of you."

Scott sighed. "Doesn't being part of your pack mean no more secrets?"

"Go home, both of you. Sleep. Heal. Make sure your friends are safe. Cause the full moon's coming. And with the way things are going, I've got a feeling it's gonna be a rough one."

..............................

"How many outfits do you two plan on wearing tonight?" Allison laughed as Lydia and Lexie pulled out all of the clothes and accessories. Lexie had decided to take Lydia shopping for her birthday present. Nothing soothed the mind about murderous reptile monsters and psychogeriatric hunters like some retail therapy with your best friend.

Lexie shrugged. "I think you mean how many we are wearing tonight. This is the party of the year, Allison. We all have to step up our game."

Lydia pulled out her dresses and held them up for Allison. "I'm thinking host dress, evening dress, then, mm, after-hours casual."

"I noticed that you didn't send out any invites," Allison said.

Lexie shook her head. "Again, biggest party of the year. You don't need invites for that."

"I was wondering if maybe this year things, you know, might be different." Allison stumbled over her words.

Lexie could've sworn the temperature in her room dropped a few degrees as Lydia said, with a bit of snap, "Why would anything be different?"

"Just cause things have been off lately. Things and people. Like Jackson."

And now the temperature plummeted below zero as Lydia gave Allison an icy glare. "What do you care about Jackson?"

"Do you know if he's coming tonight?" Allison asked.

"Everyone's coming," Lydia told her.

Lexie sighed. "You two are being weird. Over a boy. New topic, please."