13• Awkwardness

As I looked out of the window, I could see the trees and small houses passing by and I am telling you staring at them was no fun.

But what could I possibly do?

I had been sitting on the same passenger seat for almost an hour, listening to the songs. I looked at Manik and his whole attention was focused on driving.

There was complete silence between us, let me be clear totally awkward silence. He gave me a love bite, scratch it it can't be called a love bite.

I tightened my hold on the scarf which I had been wearing. But why did it feel so right? I could have stopped him but I was just lost, lost in the moment.

"Uhhh umm Nandini." I heard him call my name and I looked at him. "We need to walk from here."

I nodded as I got out of the car. I so wanted to mock him and see the monster come into action but it felt so awkward.

We walked up the muddy, slick, narrow road for about fifteen minutes in complete awkward silence. This whole situation is so annoying. I stomped my foot in irritation but I ended up spraining my leg.
"Aahh." I wailed in pain. It hurt. I tried moving my left foot but it only hurt.

Manik came beside me and held me. "You okay right?" The concern in his voice didn't go unnoticed by me. Was he worried?

"I am fine." I said as I moved a bit away from him but I stumbled and again ended up in his arms.

"I can see how much you are fine." He sighed as he came on his knees. He looked at my foot and pressed it a bit as I kept my hands on either side of his shoulder. As I looked at him I could feel shivers.

"Ow that hurts." I hit him on his head as he pressed my foot harder and he pouted angrily. Cute.

"You are so careless. Like can't you even walk properly. Where were you lost?" He scolded as he stood up.

"You can't blame me. You are responsible for this. Only if you hadn't given me this hickey I-" My words died in my mouth as I realized what I had blabbered. I must be going crazy. "I uhh I." I chewed my lower lips and my eyes shut closed, trying to search for something to cover up.

"Nandini." His voice made me open my eyes. "Don't do that." His eyes were stuck on my lips.

"Huh?" Was he by any chance indicating me to stop chewing my lips?

"I mean uhh I-" I guess he figured out what he just said. It was so awkward. Sigh!

I took a step ahead but it hurt. Great I couldn't even walk. The next moment I felt his hands around my waist and my body stiffened.

"Nandini loosen up your body and just focus on the way. We have to cover a little more distance." He said and I somehow composed myself.

It was difficult to walk in such a position so I wrapped my arms around his shoulder for support. I really felt very awkward plus my stupid heart just won't stop racing.

"Nandini I uhh I-" He sure was hesitating. "I am sorry for whatever happened before. I just got carried away and I am sorry for making you feel uncomfortable." He said it in one breath.

He was trying to apologize and I rather found it funny. "First breath Malhotra." I laughed.

He let out the breath that he had been holding and smiled. "I am really sorry but I don't like this awkward silence." He looked at me with those killer eyes. "Let's not be awkward. Let's try to fight less and know each other more."

I was shocked, surprised; scratch it I don't know how I was feeling. "First breath wifey." This time it was his turn.

I let out the breath that I had unknowingly been holding.

"So wifey want to know me more."

"I am not interested but it's better than fighting. So-" I paused and smiled. "I am in."

He smiled back and I could feel his hold on my waist tighten, making my heart flutter. I too tightened my hold on his neck. "This way I will die." He complained and I tightened my hold even more.

He is a monster. He annoys me, mocks me, teases me and fights with me but I can't ignore the fact that I am getting attracted to him. I know I am crazy but I want to try knowing him.

I don't know what future holds for us but I don't want to regret anything and I hope I won't to.

I looked ahead and we had reached our destination.