Chapter Three; The Flame.

Chapter Three

The Flame.

The room was dark, small amounts of light streamed through the barred windows and the smell of rust and pepperspray coated the air like a winter jacket on a hot summer day. Around me sat four kids of which I was solely in charge of. I would have to get them out, to save them and I had no idea how I was going to do that. My phone was useless now but it didn't matter since cell service here was impossible and our eyes were adjusting quite well.

“Skye, when are you gonna get us out of here?” The littlest one, Faye asked as she brushed crumbled cement from her little pink dress. I bit my lip in response not knowing what to tell her, I couldn't say I didn't have a plan because I didn't want to scare them but I also couldn't lie. I tried to string together something that was evasive but would get satisfy them all the same.

“She doesn't have one. I told you we didn't need her.” Sage answered for me with a sneer. He pulled a hand through his short hair, a look of disgust in his hazel eyes. I could feel my cheeks getting hot but knew that they probably wouldn't notice in the dim light.

Why did this kid hate me so much?

I ignored him, turning my head toward where Faye and Remy were now nestled together in the far corner of the large dungeon like room. I took a deep breath before inching a bit closer so they would be able to hear me clearly. “I may not have a plan now but if we work together we can come up with something and get out of here.” I assured, a small smile on my face as I brushed a piece of blue-black hair from my eyes.

Faye smiled brightly, her piercing blue eyes twinkling beneath a set of thick lashes as Remy nodded her head wildly, her black hair bouncing around her head freely.

“What is this Dora now?” Sage asked in his usual sarcastic tone before slowly moving towards where the three of us were sitting in the corner of the room, Joel following quickly behind.

When all of the kids were sitting around me, listening intently; well except for Sage of course who was feigning boredom, I began. “So does anyone have any plans?” I whispered, not wanting the terrifying man from before to hear us if he decided to make an appearance. I felt a shudder go through me at the thought as some of the kids began spilling their ideas.

“I think we should use our powers!” Faye said with a flourish before jumping to her feet, wobbling a bit while spraying her arms around the room wildly making action noises.

I grinned,grabbing onto her arm and lightly tugging her down, not wanting anyone outside to hear and come check on us.

She crossed her legs on the ground before continuing excitdly. “Yeah, yeah you're supposed to help us learn how to use them!” I cocked an eyebrow, glancing over at Sage who had a weird expression on his face but it was gone the moment he noticed me looking.

“ Stop being stupid Faye.” Was all he said before laying his head back against the wall and closing his eyes, tuning us out. There was something weird going on here and I wasn't sure if I wanted to know what it was so I just dropped it and continued asking them questions about our escape but Faye kept insisting that Sage could get us out.

“What do you mean Sage can get us out sweetie?” I finally asked as I glanced over at Sage again who had an unreadable expression on his face, almost like he was trying his best to keep it that way.

“He can use his fire, he's better than us. He knows how to do it!” Faye announced excitdly. Remy and Joel were strangely quiet and the tension in the room at that moment could've been sliced with a knife.

“What fire, does he have a lighter?” I asked slowly, my voice penetrating the silence, sounding almost too loud and out of place for our surrondings. I didn't know why Sage at fourteen would be carrying a lighter but that was all I could come up with.