No Luck

Summer. The worst time of year in New York. Humidity and must filled the air as pedestrians struggled to get through the tight, small crowds on the sidewalks of Manhattan-me being one among many. I held onto my messenger bag and ran through the large flock of strangers, rushing to get home from the last job interview on my list: Angelo's Pizza-a cute little pizzeria located in Manhattan. I lived in a small cozy apartment with my lazy roommate, Lydia in way upper Manhattan. As unmotivated as she may be, she really tries her hardest in everything she does- one of them being convincing me to go out with her every weekend. I know she can achieve anything since 80% of those weekends I end up agreeing and waking up with a pounding headache and Lydia sleeping next to a giant box of cheese pizza on the couch. As much of a hot mess she is, she really does the most to make New York my new home.

I escaped the crowd and took a cab back to my apartment. I came home to Lydia waiting for me with a batch of chocolate chip coconut cookies.

"Welcome back, Y/N!" How did it go? Tell me EVERYTHING!" She propped me down on the couch with her.

"It... went. I don't know. I don't think I got it. I mean, they said they'll call me but didn't sound promising." I got back up and grabbed my laptop. "Man, I need a job really soon so I can start making some money." 

"Y/N, there's enough restaurants in New York City for you to visit a new one every day for 50 years without visiting the same place twice. There's a job out there for you." Lydia was always a glass-is-half-full person.

"You know what, you're right. I'll just keep looking." I pulled the job search page back up and began applying once again.

"Hey, you know that coffee shop on E 56th? I know they're hiring. You should apply there."

"Coffee shop? I don't know. I need a job that I'll hear back from within a couple days, not three months later."

"Who cares if you drink coffee or not. You make money, get free shit, and- you never know who you're going to meet! And like I said, they're hiring so if they're interested, they'll call you really soon." Convincing enough.

"Fine fine, I'll submit. I've got nothing to lose." I closed my laptop and grabbed one of her freshly made cookies. Now, all I could do was wait for that phone call-if it was even going to happen.