t h i r t y e i g h t

Start from the beginning

"I just, don't want you to do something stupid." I mutter turning back to my own bag and zipping it up seeing as I don't have much room left. 

"I won't." He says softer grabbing my hand in his. I look into his eyes, trying to figure out what's going on in that head of his. I don't find any answers so I look towards his lips. Gently, I place a kiss on them. When I pull away he smiles lightly and turns back to the shelf. 

"Kitchen wasn't empty after all." Rick says hobbling into the room we're in and Carl's smile drops. So he's angry because of his father, but why?"My haul you?"

Carl places his items on a table looking his father dead in the eye. "I win." 

Just like that, we're on the road again. This time looking for a place to turn in for the night. Maybe to stay a couple days and recover from the incident at the prison. Once more, Carl walks ahead of his father only this time I'm joining him. 

"Hey." Rick calls after we've crossed some railroad tracks.Carl ignores him. He keeps calling after us but Carl doesn't look back once. I turn and give Rick an apologetic look. We come to a White House and Carl finally stops. "that one's as good as any."

We enter the house to clear it. The furniture is all turned over, the place looks ransacked. 

"Carl!" Rick yells in a hushed voice as Carl veers off on his own. 

"I got it!" Carl snaps back at his father. "All the doors down here are open." 

"Just stop!" Rick pleads. Carl turns around obviously irritated and I decided to go upstairs as Carl begins to test his fathers patience, pounding the wall. 

"Hey asshole!"He yells. "Hey shitface! Hey-"

"Watch your mouth!" Rick yells. 

"Are you kidding me?" I hear Carl yell before I disappear into a bedroom.

By the looks of it, the room used to belong to a teenage girl. The walls are a pastel pink and the shelves are full of teen magazines. Pictures decorate the walls. A light blonde girl is in every single one. Theres some of her hanging out with friends. Theres a couple of her and a boy, maybe her brother or boyfriend. On the far right of the room, a fancy dress full of sequins is draped over the chair. 

She was going to have a school dance. Maybe homecoming or prom. Is this what I would be doing if the world was still normal? It's been a long time since it has but I still wonder these things. Maybe I would've had a date to homecoming, maybe I would have had a fancy dress. Although, not as fancy as the one on the chair, we never would've been able to afford it. Maybe I would've had a hand me down from the thrift store or something. I'd have pictures with my dad, and Merle, and I'd probably have the time of my life. My Dad and Merle. 

Without even thinking I rip the dress of the chair and destroy it in some sort of rage from my bottled emotions. I sink to my knees and drop my head into my hands as the tears come flooding out. Carl rushes to the room and finds me at my worst. He sinks to the floor next to me and takes me into his arms as I cry. 

"Are you okay?" He asks once I settle down. 

"What if-" I say before pausing. As if the words that are about to come out of my mouth will make what I fear true. "What if I never see my daddy again? What if he's already dead?"

"Cherokee you know thats not true." Carl says grabbing my face into his hands. "You're dad is the strongest person you know, hell he's the strongest person I've ever met. You know in your heart that he's going through hell to get back to you right now." 

"Kids?" Rick calls from the bottom of the stairs. 

"Guess we should go back down." Carl says disappointed. 

"Thanks." I tell him and he nods placing a long kiss on my lips before we walk back downstairs as the sun goes down. 

Carl busy's himself by tying a not on the door to keep it shut while Rick moves the couch to make sure it stays shut. 

"I tied the door shut." Carl says with attitude.

"We don't need to take any chances." Rick tells him continuing to move the couch.

"You don't think it'll hold? It's a strong know Clove Hitch. Shane taught me." He says before following up with "Remember him?"

"Yeah, I remember him." Rick tells his son. "I remember him everyday. There something else you want to say to me?" 

Carl stays quiet before going to help his dad move the couch. When it's done, Rick is wheezing while clutching his side. 

"This'll have to do for the night" He says taking off his gun holster and slowly sitting on the couch. Carl takes out some of the chips we found and holds them out to his dad. 

"You gonna have some?" 

Rick denies them and just gestures to us. "You two should eat."

"We should save it." He says and despite the hunger gnawing at my stomach I agree with him. 

"Hey." Rick says getting up and handing the bag to Carl.

"I don't want any." 

"Eat it." Rick snaps throwing the bag on the floor before walking away wheezing. "Now."

"He's doing his best." I tell Carl and picking up the bag of chips. "Please, just eat. I'm tired of the tension in here. I'm going to bed." 

He does and sit in the chair by the window. My crossbow is at arms length meaning I can grab it if I need to in an emergency. I make myself 'comfortable' and slowly fall asleep.

---

Word Count: 1639

Thoughts about our two lovebirds?

What about Cherokee destroying the prom dress? I wanted her to have a moment where she realizes normal is always out of the question for her.

I hope you enjoyed despite my boring ending. Feedback is appreciated!