16. Sacrifice

James watched anxiously from a few steps diagonal from Fury's position as the World Security Council began to be a problem

"Director Fury." The Councilwoman Hawley began. "The council has made a decision." She concludes making James shake his head in disapproval.

"I recognise the council has made a decision." Fury confirmed with his hands placed in his hips. "But given that it's a stupid ass decision I've elected to ignore it."

"Director." Another began. "You are closer than any other of our subs, you scramble that jet-" James' face began to show fear as the council were not backing down from their decision and Maria was just as anxious.

"That is the island of Manhattan councilman!" Fury shouts interrupting the councilman. "Until I'm certain my team can't hold it, I will not order a nuclear strike against the civilian population." He argues stating it very clear for the decision Fury made.

"If we don't hold them here we'll lose everything."

"I send that bird out, we already have."

James walked over to Maria who was talking to another agent when James noticed something on screen. He squinted towards the screen before realising it was an unauthorised takeoff.

"Agent Hill!" He shouts his expression filled with worry as she snapped her head in his direction before noticing what was happening and panicked.

"Sir!" She shouts catching Fury's immediate attention. "We have a bird in motion!" She calls out. "Anyone on the deck we have a Rouge bird!" She yells as James followed Fury out of the bridge, the two ran full pelt towards the deck. "We need to shut it down! Repeat! Takeoff is not authorised!"

As Fury and James both ran out onto the deck, Fury with a missile launcher in hand he aimed to shoot as the quinjet flew past. Fury shot the jet down thanks to the missile he shot perfectly into its wing.

Yet James could still hear jet engines.

And before he could say 'Bob's your uncle' another quinjet shot out from another platform and it sped into the air.

James and Fury raised their guns in attempt to shoot it down but it was no use. The quinjet was too quick.

"Stark you hear me?" Fury calls into his intercom as the two rush back inside. "You have a missile headed straight for the city."

"How long?!" Stark asks.

"Three minutes. Max." Fury explains. "The payload will wipe out midtown."

"And everyone with it Stark!" James tells him. "The Security Council launched an unauthorised jet from the hellicarrier."

"That's great.." Tony muttered sarcastically. "Jarvis! Put everything we got into those thrusters."