Chapter 9

September 1st, 1971; Hogsmeade Train Station, Hogwarts Grounds, Scotland

"Firs' years over 'ere. Gather 'ere, please!" Shouted a giant holding up a lantern that seemed to have about the right size for him.

Hermione felt really excited and she recalled the first time she stepped out of the Hogwarts Express. She knew that this time, however, things would go completely different than the last time and she was anxious but also excited at that prospect.

Together with Remus, Severus and Lily they lined up with all the other first years.

The much younger Hagrid wanted them to wait until the older students were all gone so that they were not as stressed.

Hermione used the time given to observe her fellow classmates.

For one there were those she knew who would be there, James Potter, Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew. Other than them she knew the faces of some due to Sirius who showed them old photographs from his youth where many were to be seen. One girl, however, she knew. Or at least she knew someone who looked very similar to her.

Even though she had only seen pictures of the younger Alice Longbottom, she immediately knew it was her. Neville had been, after all, a nearly spitting image of her and behaviour wise they seemed to be quite similar, too.

Hermione remembered her first train ride to Hogwarts where she helped Neville on his mission of trying to find Trevor.

Just when she thought she might get emotional thinking of that time, Hagrid told them to follow him up to the boats that would take them to the castle.

The actual trip by boat had lost nothing of its impressive feeling opposed to the first time to Hermione.

It was quite the opposite.
Hermione knew what the castle looked like nearly destroyed and in flames.

For a moment, she expected the castle to fall apart, to light up again but she was glad that that was not going to happen.

"Have you been here before?" asked Remus suddenly.

"Oh, no. Grandma never took me here. I never got further than Hogsmeade."

Only mere silent minutes later and they all stood in front of the Great Hall.

September 1st, Hallway, Hogwarts Castle, Scotland, England

"Welcome to Hogwarts. My name is Professor McGonagall. It won't be long before you will sit in this hall together with your class- and housemates but before that, there are a few things left to say.

First, there are four houses at Hogwarts; Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Slytherin. Together with your housemates you will try to earn as many points as possible throughout the year to win the house cup. You can earn points by doing things well, whether in class or not doesn't matter. However, you will lose points for bad behaviour, the breaking of rules and things like that.
Now then, it is time for you to take your seats at your respective tables. Follow me," instructed Minerva McGonagall, sounding a bit less strict to Hermione than in 1991.

The big doors in front of them opened and they walked into the impressive hall in pairs of two.

Hermione could understand the reactions of the others upon entering. Severus looked fascinated up at the ceiling.

"It is enchanted to look like the sky outside," whispered Hermione while trying to look as amazed as the others to not look suspicious.

"I'll read out your names now. When I call you up, you will take a seat and the sorting hat will put you in your house."

She rolled out a long piece of parchment and started.

"Marleen McKinnon."

A shy looking girl with blond hair walked up to the stool and Minerva sat the hat down on her head.

After some seconds the hat shouted: "Gryffindor!"

Marleen stood up and walked toward the Gryffindor table that was cheering loudly with a big smile on her face.

"Hermione McGonagall."

Hermione walked up toward the woman she had lived with the last few years and sat down on the small stool.

'Ah, let's see what we have here. Obviously, someone on the brighter side in terms of knowledge but I sense a good deal of bravery, too. You seem to have experienced much for your young years and you possess knowledge and wisdom well beyond your years. Still, I can see some reckless, chivalrous, daring and selfless tendencies, too. What shall I do with you?'

Hermione could hear the hat thinking of where to put her and felt reminded of her first time where he settled for Gryffindor which was something she wanted to change and so she concentrated on Ravenclaw giving the hat some hints.

"Ravenclaw!" shouted the hat after quite some contemplating and Hermione was glad that her plan seemed to be working quite well at the moment.

There was loud cheering from the table on the far left and so she walked over to the students wearing blue and bronze on their chests.

On her way there she smiled encouragingly at Remus and Severus who were nervous about where the hat would put them.

A handful of people were sorted before Remus' name was read aloud.

He hesitatingly walked up to Minerva and took a seat.

The hat took quite some time deciding where to put him although Hermione was really sure Remus would make Gryffindor just like James Potter who was the one being sorted before him.

To her big surprise "Ravenclaw!" was being called aloud and she clapped loudly for her new friend who looked relieved as he walked to the Ravenclaw table and finally sat down opposite her.

The reaction of the students when Sirius Black was sorted into Gryffindor unlike the rest of his family was more shocked and reserved than anything else and Hermione could even see the shock on the brown-haired's face.

Next up were a few new Hufflepuffs and Slytherins, Peter Pettigrew among the latter which surprised Hermione, too and Alice Longbottom, who got sorted into Hufflepuff.

It seemed as though Remus befriending Lily, who was a proud new Gryffindor, Severus and her changed more than one thing.

The last person to be sorted was Severus and it was as if they wanted Hermione to be on alert for as long as possible.

Now, a key thing in her plan needed to happen and she really hoped everything would work out.

The hat took his time and he and Severus seemed to have an internal discussion until the hat announced Severus' future house.

"Ravenclaw!"

Hermione was relieved and really had to hold back a sigh of relief when Severus sat down next to her.

"Congratulations, Sev," smiled Hermione to which he just grinned in response.

"Before we start with the feast, I need to address that the forest is off limits to everyone. However, I wish us all a great year filled with studies and new earned knowledge. Let the feast begin," said Dumbledore, looking the same and yet different to Hermione as the food appeared on the tables.

He obviously was younger, and his hair and beard were still more grey than silvery-white but his blue eyes twinkled the same over the rim of his half-moon spectacles. And his long and colourful wizard robes were not to be forgotten either by Hermione who smiled at the fond and even the not so fond memories she had of him.