Winter Cold Contest Winner: @Kitiara_Black

After a long time, we finally have the interview of the Winter Cold contest winner: Kitiara_Black!

Why and when did you start writing?

Mostly, I started in some rough teenager years, but I have always loved to tell stories. I was busy with life and stopped for a few years. Just about a year ago I re-discovered my love to create something just for fun. The reason is partially my mind running wild either way and also to express my feelings. I do some stress relieve with my writing. It's so good to know that your mind is always free, no matter what's going on otherwise in the world.

What do you like about vampires?

I love the darkness and conflict they represent; the never ending struggle of instinct and knowledge. Vampires are a bundle of wishes and desires, but also fears of humankind, wrapped in a whole lot of metaphors. I love the different ways people interpret the sheer bloodlust and the duality. They are poor creatures, but at the same time they are majestic. Their roots can be found in so many different cultures of the world. It is fascinating.

If you could choose, would you turn into a vampire or another mythical creature?

I most probably would like to be a vampire, even though to be a dragon would also be tempting. I know it sounds narrow minded to say, but I don't believe in any kind of constant and easy shape shifting. This means if I'd be a dragon I'd not be able to be among humans anymore, and no matter what I say sometimes, I love people!

Who is your favorite character, and why?

That's hard to say as I love them all for different reasons. Most probably I'd decide for Ethan Vinge and Celeste Lavertu, if I had to. Ethan because he is so misunderstood by most but doesn't realize it's because of his own actions, and Celeste because she is simply wonderfully free of morals. Those two together are just having this special kind of relationship. It's like chili-chocolate.

If you could get any superpower, what would it be, and why?

I'd love to have the ability to heal. Not necessarily myself, but others (both would be the coolest of course). I know all the bad things that happen to people in comics that have that power, but don't forget... I'm a vampire! ;)

If you could get a pet - any pet at all - what would it be?

Dragon! Mostly because of Temeraire and Eragon, I guess, but I'm equally obsessed with dragons as with vampires.

Where do you like to write most?

At home, in my office on a big screen with my keyboard on my thighs and feet crossed, but the real question is not where but how. I'm this kind of writer who needs a mood song for the atmosphere and then listening to that one song until I finished the scene. Sometimes this means I have that song in my ears for days.

And as last, do you have any piece of advice for other writers?

Never stop writing when you have the urge that a story needs to be told. There will be some feedback that lifts you up, and some that gets you down. Both are essential, but nothing anybody can say about your work makes it worth any less. Serious reflection is fine, but don't let it control your style or thoughts. It's your world, and it should make you happy in first place.