Chapter 2

'C-O-N-F-I-D-E-N-T, that's me/ I'm confident/ Don't want your compliments/ Use common sense.'

-BO$$, Fifth Harmony

The smell of food wafted up into my nostrils as all of us approached the dining hall. I looked around and saw everybody's noses just quivering in pure delight.

Quivering and flaring and snorting and widening. You know. All those good nose movements.

I felt a dark presence behind me, that attractive boy who had just promised me that I was going to get trashed while I was having dinner.

What, was he going to throw lumpy mashed potato at me or something? Maybe a scoop of gravy?

Was that the best that he had to offer?

Actually, come to think of it, getting food in my hair wasn't exactly on my list of 'Things to do before I Escape this Hell Hole.' I had literally just gotten new highlights before I went to the airport (I wanted to impress hot boys with my mysteriously coloured hair - is it red, or is it brown?) and I wanted them to last a long time before I went to the salon again.

If I ever went to the salon again.

I sighed.

A door came into view and I cheered up again at the thought of food. Food takes the pain away, and right now, I'm in dire need of nourishment.

I flipped a lock of hair off my shoulder with a careless movement of my hand and heard a shrill 'Ow!' from behind me.

Serves him right, that little peasant.

I turned around just in time to see the doors opening, and people pouring in.

I walked a little faster, and was nearly jogging by the time I reached the doors. 

And as I stepped through, the first thing I saw was the eyes.

The beady, little eyes.

The stares hit me like a wrecking ball from every angle. Everywhere i looked, I made eye contact with a pair of irises, blue, green, brown, some even black. The prisoners were all just staring straight at me, like they were starving lions and I was fresh meat.

Was this how they treated all the new people in jail?

Was I new blood or something?

The dining hall was lined with tables and benches, with people already seated in them. There was hardly any place for me, though I did see a spot next to Mr Moody at his table where he was sitting with some of his friends. 

How did he even get there so fast?

They were still staring at me. 

Stay strong, Cassidy. They'll be able to smell your fear.

With this thought in mind, I straightened up, corrected my posture, lifted my chin, forced a smile on my face and raised a hand in greeting.

'Yo, who's this chick?' Somebody called out from the back somewhere. I searched the crowd for the owner of the voice, but failed.

'Sweetie, you new here?' 

'Hey girl, you want the number of my cell? Hah, get it, because cell is like a phone and we're all stuck in cells-'

'Shut up Tommy, your pick-up lines are as stale as these bread rolls right here.'