Chapter 13

'You don't own me/ Don't try to change me in any way.'

-You Don't Own Me, Grace feat G-Eazy

I closed my eyes.

I heard a breath escape slowly from Hu Li's lips beside me, feeling her body tense up as did mine.

'Don't move.'

Wasn't planning on it but okay.

'Turn around.'

I literally thought that I was just told not to move. I rolled my eyes. 

'Turn around, kneel on the ground, hands behind your head now.'

Slowly, we did as we were instructed. As I turned, I saw Nathan being held back by prison guards while  a warden held out a torchlight in our direction. The light revealed a few more guards standing around him.

'I don't know what you were thinking, trying to escape like that. Did you think we wouldn't notice the pillow decoys in your bed? An inmate also reported that you three weren't at dinner and that you hadn't been following your schedules for the past few hours before lights out.'

Probably stupid Polly.

'I think I know what you were doing!' The warden snapped his fingers. 'You were trying to steal our wages, you little criminals!'

'You know we aren't criminals. How could you just stand there and watch as innocent children get arrested and taken away from society for no reason?'

'Ah, my dear, money can make me do a lot of things.' The warden smirked, tapping his fingers against his hip. 'Between justice and having a share of your parent's money? Easy decision.'

'How could you be so selfish?'

'Ask my three-storey house that, it'll give you a very good answer. Now, time to get to work.'

He signaled for the guards to grab us and bring Nathan forward so he could join.

'Take them away.'

---------------

'This sucks.'

We had been locked in three cells, close to one another in a circular sort of way. Each cell was like a janitor's closet. On second thought, it was probably a little smaller. I couldn't imagine anybody being able to make out in here.

'What are we going to do now?' Hu Li huffed, brushing her long hair over her shoulder. 

'I..don't know.' I shrugged helplessly. 'Is there anything we could do?'

Nathan and Hu Li both exhaled. Nathan closed his eyes and leant his head against the bars of his cell. I watched as his shoulders rose and fell with every breath.

'We can't just sit here.'

'Well I don't know about you, but I have to sit here because I really don't think I have enough space to stand up.' Hu Li retorted.

'I wonder what they're going to do with us.'

'I don't want to know.' Nathan popped open one eye. 'They can't just kill us, can they?'

I was about to scoff and tell him no. But as I thought about it, the more likely that fate became to me. Nobody knew about this organization anyway. Nobody that cared knew we were in here. We were a threat to J.U.V.I.E, with how much we knew about them and their ways. We were obstacles in their path to wealth and success.