Chapter 4

Above picture; what I imagine Derek's mansion to be like .

Aria's POV
I wanted to just disappear. Never have I heard such cruel words pointed my way before. When I heard him address me last night, it was as if fire was spewing from his mouth. A tear rolled down my cheeks as I remembered.

I walked down the stairs and into the dinning room. He was already seated, munching his toast. "morning " I said, drawing his attention. He looked up at me for a moment before groaning what seemed to be a reply. I helped myself to a cup of coffee before taking a seat very far from his. Maybe if I stayed away, he'd have no reason to insult me. Another tear formed in my eye but I blinked it away as I took a sip. The silence between us was to be expected yet it was desperately eating me alive. "morning Aria " Sally came in from behind me, giving me a kiss on my head. I managed a smile and greeted her a hearty good morning. She turned to Derek who was watching us and have him a disapproving look before turning to me "did you sleep well dearie " she asked, taking my hand in hers. I gave a genuine smile this time "yes I did, thank you very much for asking ". She nodded and said "and you Derek " she turned to him "I expect you to be home at six o'clock sharp and not a minute later". "why?" he asked at once. "your siblings will be here for dinner silly. I invited them " she stood her ground. "I won't make it that early. Make it seven" he took a sip of his own black coffee. "fine" she said in defeat "I'll have to go to the store to get groceries later". "you do that " he stood and kissed her cheek "and take care of yourself ". He adjusted his navy blue blazer and looked at his wrist watch "I best be on my way" he kissed her one more time "see you later". He walked past me, not even stopping for a nanosecond. When he left, I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding. Sally turned to me at once "don't let that brute dull your shine ". I laughed at the way she said it. I nodded curtly before standing up myself. My cup of coffee wasn't even halfway gone. "thanks for breakfast Sally " I said to her. "but you haven't even eaten " she said shocked. "don't feel hungry " I said like a little girl. I excused myself and as I went up the stairs, thoughts of last night came flooding back. He said so many hurtful things about me. I felt the tears form again. All my life, I was always judged before anyone ever got to know me. I have been judged because of the colour of my hair, the clothes I wear, the car I drive, my last name and even the way I speak. It wasn't on me if I was the daughter of Alan Montgomery. I loved my dad so much but I never asked for any of this. It took people two seconds to judge me as a spoilt brat or a brainless blonde when they didn't even give me a chance. And now the man I was married to added himself to the millions of people who thought I was a shallow girl and a materialistic person. For once in my existence, I needed someone who was willing to know the real me and not the lie the magazines fed them. He made it as clear as day that I was his trophy wife and that this was just a charade. He made it clear that none of his children will be from my womb. It was already clear enough when he sighed the divorce papers that he would never want anything to do with me. We could pretend to be the perfect couple in front of the cameras but behind closed doors, it was a whole new topic. I walked into my room and shut the door. The tears flowing now more than ever. Was I bound to live e the rest of my life miserable?

The day flew by and before I could blink twice, I found myself in my closet, fishing for what to wear to dinner. I laid out a beautiful grey Parisian dress. It stopped exactly at my knees and had an open back. It was figure fitting and had slim hands.
I slipped the dress on, and let my hair down before applying makeup and going for a bold red lipstick. As I made my way down the stairs, I heard soft laughter from the dinning room. "a grand entrance " I smiled at myself. I walked in and they all turned to me, mouths open. "you sure know how to make an entrance " Garrett stood first and kissed my cheeks. I smiled and muttered a good evening. "lovely as always" Maddy said pulling me in for a hug. "wow" was all Jade could say as she hugged me "you must tell me where you bought such a jaw dropping dress". "I'll spill my fashion secrets later" I whispered. She laughed and ushered me to my seat, in between she and Derek. He studied me for a minute before he spoke out "you're late". I felt a part of me die at his words. Just then, I heard a faint giggle and my heart warmed up again. She ran into the room, her pony tail bouncing this way and that. "Aria " she screamed once she spotted me, running my way. Sally came in behind her, smiling.