Chapter 36: Battle

When we leave the Farmhouse, we're leaving behind our place of sanctuary – our place of safety. The snow crunches beneath the wheels of the car as we pull out of the side of the house. The sun is at the bottom of the sky, wedged between the mountains and hills. It's an ombre view. It's dawn.

The ride back home is mostly quiet. Most of what was needed to be discussed has been.

So for now, we don't speak. We let the silence say all that it needs to say; and right now, it doesn't have anything to say. So for the few hours it takes to get home, Rose and I both fade in and out of sleep. I overhear Dad telling Mom she should try to get some sleep a few times, but I'm not sure if she ever does.

When we get home, it's still morning, but the sun has risen higher. In New York, the city never sleeps, and this is no special occasion. Cars are frantic, and horns dance around the city. There are angry shouts coming from drivers, and signs with graffiti on every corner.

This is all so normal to me, but I don't feel the same. I feel different. I feel a new sense of determination; a new sense of renewal. It's like taking an emotional shower.

The apartment smells the same and looks the same, but it feels different.

Even though it's light outside, I fall asleep as soon as I get home.

Later that day, I find myself walking through the summer-heat of the sewers. When I walk into the lair, I find the turtles all in the front room together. Mikey is playing video games, Raph is passed out on the couch, Donnie is working on one of his inventions, and Leo is sitting on the couch with Mikey.

"There's a zombie cheat there," Leo advises. "Click on the lightbulb on the lamp-post."

Mikey does so, and grins when he collects a bomb. "Thanks, Leo!"

Leo smiles and nods. When he looks over and sees me, he holds out his arms. I grin and drop my bag, breaking towards him. I jump into his arms, and he laughs, holding me tightly.

"Hey love," he says, giving me a kiss. "How are you doing? Did you get some sleep?"

"I did," I say. "Did you?"

"Some," he says, rubbing the back of his neck. "Once we got home, I couldn't really sleep much."

"Hey Lex," Mikey says, not taking his eyes off his game. "Did you know about the lamp cheat on this game?"

"Yeah," I say. "Did you know about the business man one?"

"No!" He pauses his game. "What is it?"

"When you see a business man, click his briefcase. It'll give you whatever's in his briefcase. Usually it isn't bad either," I explain. I snuggle into Leo's chest and hold onto his hand.

"Besides the slim chance it's a bomb," Leo laughs. "Be careful on that one, Mike."

"What time are we all meeting at your place?" Donnie asks from his little table. He covers his invention with a cloth, and picks it up to transfer it to the counter.

"Early," I say. Mikey groans at my response. "Hey, we have to catch them off guard. We have to be ready. You should probably be there about five. Before the sun comes out."

"Before the sun comes out is still night, Lex," Mikey says, shaking his head. "But alright – whatever I have to do to kick the butts of those losers who gave me the scar on my face."

Raph, who has been stirring slowly, rolls his eyes and sits up. "It's barely a scratch, Mike. Calm down." Even though he doesn't say it, I know Raph is really glad his brothers are safe and home. The fact that he's down here sleeping, even though Mikey has been being really loud, shows that he's feeling really protective. He doesn't want anything bad to happen to them again.