Chapter 5

"So, where are you from?" Bindi asked.

"Texas," Ashley answered.

"Ooh, that's so cool, America," Bindi said, excitedly.

"You've been there right?" I asked.

"Yes, quite a many times, but I'd love to visit as many times as possible.

I nodded. "It's so amazing, the things you all do for animals," I said. I had no idea what I was talking about but I had heard a few things about Australia Zoo, where all animals were saved and endangered animals were treated especially well. I didn't know much but knew what they were doing was for a good cause.

"Thank you, really," Robert said. "So, which animal do you want to see first?"

"Oh, definitely the giraffes. I want to see how tall they actually are," I said excitedly.

Robert nodded. We walked over to their, enclosure? No. That's too harsh. Well, where they lived in the zoo.

"They're tall, that's for sure," Ashley said, craning her head to look up at them.

"Yeah, they're really large" I said in amazement. 

"Wanna feed them?" Robert asked.

"Yeah! I've always wanted to do that," Ashley exclaimed.

Had she really?

Robert smiled and left to get the food. Ugh, he had the most beautiful smile. Did I have a crush on him? No. I had just met him. That wasn't possible.

Bindi talked to us while he was gone. When he came back with some carrots, he gave some to Ashley, Bindi and to me, smiling as he placed them in my hand. I smiled back, not being able to stop blushing.

Bindi cooed (A/N: I don't actually know how you call a giraffe, lol) and one of the giraffes we were observing, bent down and Bindi pet it. It was actually really cute.

"Okay, so there are two ways to feed giraffes," Bindi said. "You could either just give the food to them directly, with your hand, or you could place the carrot in your mouth and then it will take it out of your mouth. Can you demonstrate Robert?"

"Sure," he said. He went to the bent down giraffe and pet it. He then gave it a carrot with his hand. It happily took the carrot with its freakishly long tongue. Robert then took another carrot and placed one end of it in his mouth and leaned in close to the giraffe's mouth. The giraffe took it out of his mouth, slightly licking Robert's face as it did.

Both Ashley and I laughed. Bindi chuckled when she saw us laughing. (not in a mean way) Robert laughed as well. "Why don't either of you try?" he asked.

"Sure," Ashley said excitedly. She walked up to the giraffe and gave the carrot to it directly first. It ate it. She then imitated Robert and put one end of the carrot in her mouth and the other, stretching out for the giraffe to grab. It took that as well. She moved back just in time, so no giraffe saliva got on her. Where did she get the sudden confidence from?

"You're a professional already," Bindi said. Robert high-fived her.

"Your turn," Robert said, turning to me.

"I-maybe not. I'm going to.. uh.. pass," I stammered.

"Oh come on! You'll be fine. How often do you get opportunities like these?" Robert said, trying to persuade me.

"I know this is a rare chance, but, ugh, sorry man," I said, slightly embarrassed.

"Oh please Andrea, come on, just once," Bindi begged.

"Don't be a killjoy Andrea," Ashley teased.

I felt horrible but was honestly scared to feed the giraffes. Pretty lame of me, I know.

"You gotta do this once," Robert said, coming up to me and pulling me gently by the hand to the giraffes.

He took a carrot from my hand and placed it in my mouth. I felt my cheeks grow hot again. He placed his hand on my back and slowly pushed me towards the giraffe. The giraffe leaned in and took the carrot, drenching me in it's saliva as it did so.

Everyone started laughing and I groaned in disgust but chuckled as the moment went farther and farther away from the present.