"Are rumors of your divorce fact or fiction?" came another question.

"Queen Evangeline, when shall we expect you to give a royal speech?" another voice asked eagerly.

"How long will Fire's Kingdom have before their kingdom is united with Winter's?" came a persistent inquiry.

Overwhelmed, Elle retreated into a corner, unsure of how to respond to the onslaught of inquiries. She sensed Jack's presence nearby and felt his offered hand, but she hesitated, refusing to take it.
Elle couldn't spot anyone familiar as she was surrounded by individuals firing questions. She had no desire to answer, but she was unsure of how to escape the situation.
"No comment," snapped the voice of Kane, suddenly at her aide. He spoke to the small crowd and his words inspired them to back away immediately. He was beside Elle and motioning for everyone to back away. The members of the media did as requested while looking quite miffed. "Grandfather, may we have a word at once?" Kane said to Alaz, who was able to hear them even across the ballroom and conversing with Zeus and Hades.
Kane held his arm out for Elle to take. She gladly accepted to get away from the clearly irritated group who thought they would be hearing from her. He took them to a secluded hallway where Alaz and Pele were already awaiting their arrival, ignoring the shouts or pleas from the reporters a far distance behind them.

"What is the meaning of this interruption, grandson?"
Kane near balked. "Interruption? My King, Evangeline has not been with our family for more than twelve hours and already you have her conversing with reporters? She is not ready to have her face splashed across every form of media known to immortals!"
Not only did Elle feel she had been thrown under the proverbial bus, but she felt overwhelmingly surprised that there were actually reporters that documented the events that happened to immortals. She had never been aware of that previously.
"Your brotherly devotion is kind but not needed," said Pele in the place of her father, causing Alaz to nod. "Evangeline is of our bloodline and the Queen of Winter's throne. She must show the realms that we stand as a united front."
"Mother, pardon my contradiction, I understand although I hold reservations," said Kane with a frown.
"Such as...?"
Elle's eye twitched. "Maybe that you should let me of all people know before you throw me under the bus like that," she snapped impatiently. She was tired of the constant way immortals spoke of her as though she were not present while she was right in front of them.
"I do not understand your words," said Alaz. "You are a princess of our kingdom and a queen of another; it is your duty to show we as a family hold unity." His words were a scolding.
Elle balked at him. "I've been here not even a day and you want me to be the mouthpiece for your kingdom??"
"Precisely."
Elle found she wasn't surprised by Pele or Alaz; she felt her earlier thought was only confirmed; immortals always seemed to have their own agenda at large. Instead, Elle looked to Kane with annoyance. "Family just wants to protect me, huh?"
"I did not know of this gathering or their intentions," said Kane, now watching Pele with narrowed eyes.
Elle scowled while walking away before Alaz grabbed ahold of her. The surprise contact caused a spark of flames to erupt on Elle's shoulder; something that did not affect Alaz given he held similar abilities. His grip tightened on her shoulder to the point it was almost uncomfortable. "You are of royal blood and you married into another royal family, Evangeline. Nevertheless, it is your birthright to defend your family." His unplaceable accent was thick with his declaration; his voice stern.
His grip tightened ever so slightly. The move was clearly meant to be intimidating.
"I can see why Elle is having problems adjusting to this new notion," remarked Jack, his presence sudden beside Elle and Kane. Alaz released his hold on her instantly. "First her birthright was to marry me, now it's her birthright to defend your kingdom." Jack's gaze shifted to Elle, an amused glint in his eyes. "You could develop whiplash from how often your birthright changes."

"This is not a matter of discussion for you, Frost," Alaz retorted curtly, his eyes flashing dangerously while Pele glared nearby.

"Am I not part of this family?" Jack inquired earnestly; his expression touched with innocence. No one seemed willing to answer him immediately.

"Yes, you are," Alaz admitted reluctantly, his teeth slowly gritting together.
"Not for long," said Elle suddenly, causing the group to look at her. "I'll have your papers signed and then our sham of a marriage will be finished-"
"You will do no such thing!" said Pele in sudden interruption, sounding outraged Elle could possibly conceive such a notion. It was Alaz who spoke next.
"You will not divorce Frost, granddaughter. I simply forbid it!" Elle's head slowly swiveled to stare at her newfound family members. She couldn't believe her ears by how bossy this newfound family of hers was being.
"You have no right to dictate my choices," Elle countered, her tone cutting through the tension like a blade. "This is my life, my decision to make. I refuse to be shackled by a marriage forced upon me. I'm not going to stay married to him for the sake of some political alliance." Her voice carried the weight of her determination, a declaration of independence echoing through the room.

Now it was Kane who spoke. His narrowed eyes never left Alaz. "You would keep your own relative in a loveless marriage for the sheer sake of the monarchy?" His voice was a low hiss, his face holding utter repulse. Jack watched Kane coldly.

"Do not wear that expression," scolded Pele. "For many millennia gods and goddesses have had to make sacrifices for the good of the monarchy, such as this. Evangeline will stay married to Frost, no further discussion."
Elle's laughter echoed through the room, rich with disbelief and irony. The idea of being scolded by Pele, as if they shared a bond akin to parent and child, struck her as absurd. "Are you going to send me to my room without supper?" she quipped, struggling to maintain a serious demeanor. "Or perhaps you'll ground me?" Elle struggled to suppress a smirk as she continued, refusing to meet Pele's gaze. "What will you do if I refuse to remain married to him a moment longer?"

A subtle shift in Jack's expression hinted at amusement, quickly concealed.Pele's glare intensified, but it was Alaz who intervened. "My family, letus not turn against each other," he implored, his voice a soothing balmamidst the tension. "Our common enemy is among us. Macaria's risethreatens us all, and it is together that we must stand against her."

Elle did not miss the way Pele bowed her head low in an almost embarrassed way.Nor did she miss the way Hades vanished instantly the moment Macaria's name wasspoken.
"Did you make her stay in a loveless marriage as well?" mocked Kane coolly.
Alaz provided a look, but he did not scold him for his clear usage of sarcasm.It was then that Elle knew they were related. Not many other immortals usedsuch vocabulary to communicate. It was Pele who spoke next. "You know as wellas your grandfather and myself that the fate of this family stems from thedecisions we all make at this time. If we do not stick together, Macaria willpick us off one by one until she is the only one remaining."
"I'm well aware of the threat she poses," said Elle, finally chiming in. "But Idon't understand how staying married to him helps anyone." She steadilyignored Jack's lingering gaze on her.
Alaz looked positively baffled at her words. Pele as well, but it was only theformer who spoke. "My dear, you do not realize your full potential, do you?"
It was Elle's silence that inspired him to continue. "You are the Queenof Winter's throne! A desire of divorce from your husband, a King, means nextto nothing." He chuckled heartily. "My dear girl; you not only control just asmuch of your kingdom as your husband; you possess control of his army as well."
***
A/N
What are we thinking?
If you're bored and interested in more from the BTJF universe, check out two spinoff books of mine 'The Lost Asgardian' and 'Betrothed to Hades'

"***A/NWhat are we thinking?If you're bored and interested in more from the BTJF universe, check out two spinoff books of mine 'The Lost Asgardian' and 'Betrothed to Hades'