Chapter 1

"Y/n, I have a new job for you."  You groan as you recall your previous offers for new positions within the recording studio where you worked and none of them seemed any better than the admin position that you already had.  All of them included a lot of dedication, and worse still - human interaction.

"Ugh, what is it this time?" you ask grimly, hoping that it isn't another joke from your friends.  Your boss, Lauren smiles.

"We have a new band," she says, and you roll your eyes.  "We need an audio manager."

"Why?"

"Because we're short on staff, you know," she replies, and you groan loudly.  "And while you are a valued member of the team here, you know, you're needed where you're needed."  You turn around slowly in your swivelling chair.

"You know that I wish you would stop giving me these job offers for jobs that you know I'll hate," you reply glumly.  Lauren puts the paperwork down on your desk for the job details and shrugs.

"Maybe you should just think about it.  Stop being so small-minded.  Do you want to be stuck here?  I know the answer to that, by the way.  It was a rhetorical question.  You hate being stuck here, I know that you do.  So how about we give it a go, hey?  Or at least, until we can get a new audio manager for these guys, we need a stand-in for the post.  Please?  just for a few weeks?"  You sigh loudly, picking up the paperwork.  It was a pay rise and a significant one at that.  You roll your eyes again and turn back to Lauren, who's looking at your hopefully. 

"Okay, I'll do it for a few weeks," you agree.  "But only because I know that you'll annoy me if you don't.  Okay?  I take this for a few weeks, you get a new person for the job, and I come back here.  But," you say, staring her right in the eye.  "I want the wages for it as well."  She nods and contemplates it for a moment.

"Okay," she agrees.  "I'll see what I can do."

A week later...

You sit at your desk, drumming a pencil on a piece of paper.  You had only been down to the studios a few times, and that was normally to deal with issues with the other audio producers, but you'd never had the chance to look around before.  It seemed to be a little smaller than you remembered, and you hadn't seen much of the equipment before.  In fact, you had less clue about what you were doing than the band themselves probably did.  And speaking of the band, you don't even know anything about them.  You don't even know their names or even the name of the band.

Why did you take this job again, idiot?

You sit thinking about the complexities of where you are when there is a knock at the door.  You casually call for the people on the other side to come in, and you see Lauren with three other young men, all looking nervous.

"I brought you a coffee," Lauren says, wandering into the studio, gesturing for the band to follow her in, and placing a cup down on your desk.  "Now, remember, be nice, and just try, for once, to enjoy yourself."  She says it like a frustrated mother on the first day of her kids' new school, and you roll your eyes at her.

"Okay then," you say, trying to hide the anxiety in your voice.  Damn, I knew this would be a mistake, you think to yourself, trying not to grimace as you thought of the next few weeks of hell and mentally prepare yourself for a hard time.

"So," Lauren says, not seeming nervous at all, even though your nerves are starting to play up a little.  "These are the guys you will be working with for the next few weeks, they know that you're just filling in, so that's fine."  You roll your eyes.