Rather Unexpected

Start from the beginning

"Kha..Kharma?," I faced him and I was greeted with his arms wide open "The one and only".

I couldn't respond his actions rendered me speechless. I could feel my face heating up yet, my body getting all frozen. How ironic. When he realized I was still dumbfounded, he lowered his arms and let out a small chuckle before taking a step towards me.

"Rayne," He moved his face closer to mine in my trance-like state. I quickly snapped and moved my face away from him but, not in a rude way.

"Oh! clock is ticking, time for work!" I hurriedly motioned myself to the counter finding an escape. I was still in the state of shock. He is back. Kharma's back. Kharma Izreal, the childhood friend who unintentionally broke my little heart back in high school, was here in this very café. Gosh! I thought I had moved on from him when I graduated and got into college far away but now he is back, probably aiming to powder what was left in my shattered heart.

Ugh! That guy! Back then, we were close friends since diaper years you know calling each other names and laughing at each other's jokes, we were really happy until a popular girl from our class confessed to him. He was indeed the cute back then. But, what he did shock me, I thought he hated those relationship-thingy yet, he accepted the girl.

Things got awkward between us after that especially when his girlfriend started doing clingy things like those holding hands, hugging and such. I felt left out.. I mean.. he approached me a couple of times but It was me who kept a fair distance from him. Since then, we never spoke properly nor looked at each other at all, even until during our elementary graduation. We just nodded our farewells.

"Gosh! Why are things so cruel! " I could feel my tears threatening to fall. So, all those things we ever did meant nothing to him? He ditched me just like that and never attempted to even reconcile! I heard he broke up with his girlfriend because he would be moving to Canada. I don't care anymore. He's out of my life. Erased.

I was too preoccupied with my thoughts, I didn't realize that the store was already open and my first costumer was already standing in front of the counter. I shook my head and focused with my work and I tried not to think of Kharma's presence.

He doesn't exist. He has no room in my life!

Several days had passed; today the café was jammed with tons of customers which made us close the cafe late.

"God I never thought being a part timer is so hard," I silently complained to myself while preparing to go home.

I was already at the exit when Landice blocked my path.

"Rayne, are you sure you'll be fine, alone?," emphasizing the word alone. "I mean its already dark and those scary news happening lately about girls getting traumatized when they passed that street----."

"Landice," I interrupted him.

"I'll be fine don't you worry, " I gave him an assuring smile but, he was persistent just like Stella. I let out a sigh. Indeed they're siblings alright.

"No, you're not stepping out at that door without anyone accompanying you. It's my duty to ensure the safety of my employees," a hint of worry and authority in his voice but, I know he is just concerned acting like a Kuya again. Stella would get mad at him if he didn't take care of her only best friend.

He paused for a moment before he continued, "Oh I know, Kharma!"

"Wait, why are you calling that guy?"

"He will walk you home" his face glowing with confidence.

"What! No!"

"No buts Rayne or you're fired. You don't want to disappoint Mrs.V. Besides I trust that guy I was the one who recommended him here," he is playing that card again. You're the worst Landice.

"Suit yourself then," as if I have a choice. Argument with this guy is futile.

"Good girl"

"So? May I pass now? I already agreed to your idea besides, I'll just wait for him," I lied as soon as I stepped at that door. I would certainly leave Kharma behind.

"Okay stay safe," Good thing he brought my excuse and he went back to his office. When I heard his office door shut close.

I hurriedly made my way to the door half-running. I need to escape from that guy. Good thing I saw a small space between two buildings not far away. I stealthy slip myself to it making sure he didn't saw me.

"I guess the coast is clear. I've been here for 5 minutes now," I took a peek to the road and checked from side to side. "No one in sight great" I was about to step out when I felt a cold and heavy hand landed in my shoulder. My eyes widened in horror. My whole body froze. I could hear my heart beat trying to escape from my ribcagee. Don't tell this was what Landice was concerned about. Oh Lord, save me from this creature or thing behind my back. When I realized that I could move my head, I slowly turned to face it. It was the only thing I could do. I expected a white lady or a creepy monster but, I only found him. Kharma. He was trying to catch his breath probably from chasing and looking for me.

"Ren-ren," he removed his hands "You.. scared.. me!" my eyes started to sting. I hate being spooked or shocked because I burst into tantrums. He was well aware of that. "St..ay..away...from me!" I couldn't hold my tears, I don't want him to see me like this again. No. Never. I tried to escape but, he immediately grabbed my wrist. "Wait!"

"Let me Go!" he tightened his grip and stepped closer a few inches away from me.. "Let me Go!" Gosh this tears.

"Shhh, stop crying" he wiped my cheeks and gave me a comforting hug but, I forcibly pushed him. No please no. I could feel his heart beat and heavy breathing.. his too close! "Please.. shhh..calm down Ren-ren," He gently caressed my hair and started to hum twinkle twinkle little star...that tune... just like how mommy would sing to me... Gosh what's with this irregular heartbeat, my face as hot as red jalapeno peppers. Gosh! A moment of silence then, he let me go and I lifted my head. "Ren-ren.. please hear me out...I'm sorry that—".

But before he could even finish his sentence, I ran away. I collapsed in my bed hoping to forget what happened earlier. But the more I tried, the more I was haunted by his gentle embrace, his soothing voice and warm smiles. This is clearly Kharma's fault. What have you done to me! You had made my heart throb furiously. Ughhh. I hate you!